RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Thu, 11 October 2007 00:45 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:45:12 -0700
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee' <ISOJAC@loc.gov>

[cc to JAC]

The documentation problem is something that ISO 639 RAs potentially can and probably should address so that it's clear to implementers that "vls" is indeed the identifier for the language variety typically meant by the appellation "Flemish".

Note, though, that there's no way to escape the issue Ethnologue is calling out: that "Flemish" and "Vlaams" are sometimes used to refer to the variety usually called (in English) Dutch. If someone wants to find the ID for "Flemish", they must first make sure they know what language variety it is they are really dealing with. That is not a problem that ISO 639 can deal with.

Also, ISO 639 cannot really deal with the UI issue. Languages can have many names. Some names may go in or out of vogue; some names may be strongly preferred in some places and simultaneously strongly disparaged in other places. It is not the role of the ISO 639 JAC or the RAs to give out recommendations as to what names should be exposed to users in products.

Finally, wrt our email exchange in 2005, I think I may have expressed things in a way that was misunderstood. I believe this is the bit in question:

<quote>
E.g. Karen mentioned "nld-BE" (3066 would use require nd-BE) for Flemish, though 639-3 will provide "vls". I expect a successor to RFC 3066 will consider both valid, though we can't force people to use "vls" if they happen to come up with "nd-BE".
</quote>

I'm pretty sure I did not mean to imply by these comments that I considered "vls" appropriate for Dutch spoken in the Flemish region. I believe I thought we were discussing Flemish aka Vlaams.

Peter