RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Sun, 07 October 2007 06:57 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: Don Osborn <dzo@bisharat.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:57:48 -0700
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>

Don, do you have a sense of how well the macrolanguage entities that have been in 639 cover the set of African developed macro-varieties that we're likely to see developing in the next (say) 20 years?

Put another way, are we likely to need a number of new IDs in 639 (as in the N'Ko case)? If so, should they have macrolanguage mappings in 639 to sets of existing entries? If so, what can we expect to happen in the way of tag use in the short term, while these varieties have not yet emerged or are only just starting to emerge, and what would pros/cons be of the extlang approach to tagging?

Peter