[Ltru] [A little OT] Feedback and Communication was (Macrolanguage, Extlang. The Sami language )

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Wed, 28 May 2008 22:08 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: 'Don Osborn' <dzo@bisharat.net>, 'Doug Ewell' <doug@ewellic.org>, 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 23:10:16 +0100
Cc: 'A12n tech support' <a12n-collaboration@bisharat.net>
Subject: [Ltru] [A little OT] Feedback and Communication was (Macrolanguage, Extlang. The Sami language )
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Don

On the question of adaption of technologies in relation to language tagging
I believe this is possibly the right forum depending on how much the RFC can
assist - although certainly not the only one.  On the question of feedback
on particular tags and whether there is a requirement for new subtags
IETF-languages is the correct forum - generally after the ISO 639 process
has been pursued and failed.

That said, very often good discussion is (rightly) stopped on both LTRU and
IETF-Languages as being out of scope or off topic. So, I do see what you are
trying to say and I would agree that, perhaps, there is a need for another
forum that can communicate feedback on the various efforts.    Not sure who
would or should have 'ownership' of that forum.  I think it would prove very
interesting.  I think it could also prove useful for standardization efforts
when applying for new, or changes to, ISO 639 codes if feedback/actual use
case scenarios from a user community is presented in support of such an
application.

If you want to establish such a forum I would certainly join.

Best wishes

Debbie
PS We/you could do it as part of our remit within WLDC