Re: [Ltru] Suggested text for future compatibility of registryprocessors.

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Mon, 02 July 2007 00:15 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Suggested text for future compatibility of registryprocessors.
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:16:15 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

I was looking at it from a protocol specification perspective.
When defining an extensible protocol, using SHOULD, MUST, etc.
makes sense when specifying the nature of permissible extensions.

If we wanted to be really pedantic, for example, we could spell out that
future extensions MUST NOT violate the syntax established for "record"
in the ABNF.  (If we were indeed going to make a commitment to forward
compatibility in the registry format.  At this point, we haven't constrained
ourselves in this way, and please don't read this example as an argument
that we should constrain ourselves in this way.  Indeed, I think we really
need to discourage implementations (other than very specialized developer
tools) from reading the registry itself, in much the same way as network
management applications don't dynamically query the IANA enterprise number
assignments.)

Randy