Re: [magma] Query on querier version in IGMPv3

Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com> Mon, 19 July 2010 09:41 UTC

From: Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com>
To: Indranil Bhattacharya <myselfindranil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:11:17 +0530
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "magma@ietf.org" <magma@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [magma] Query on querier version in IGMPv3

Indranil,

      Thanks for your reply.

      For the reselection part, using a timer will take care of the issue, you are suggesting could be there. The lower_version_querier timeout will be twice the query-interval + robustness count, which will make sure that timer fires only when the lowest version querier does not send any query message for such a time. ( Now someone can argue that query-interval for the lower version querier might be huge and it may not send any query during this period. I think this is a mis-configuration and this can result in other issue. Also the same issue exist in querier election as well. So we should not worry about this at all. )

      For the administrative part, I agree that a router which is configured with V3 has to be configured administratively to process V2/V1 queries. Basically an administrator is suggesting that a particular interface may have old version querier and if that happens,  lower our own version of queries in that interface. But I am still not sure how to bring it back to the old higher version?

Regards,
Bharat