Re: [magma] Question about IGMP host implementation

Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com> Thu, 13 October 2011 17:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:10:26 -0700
From: Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>
To: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange.com>
Cc: magma@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [magma] Question about IGMP host implementation

On 10/13/2011 1:26 AM, Thomas Morin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Obviously there is no legitimate case where a query would come from
> another subnet.
> The question is how to avoiding such queries from being processed...
>
> IGMPv3 specs talks a bit about this aspect ; RFC3376, section 9.1,
> Security Considerations, Query message:
>
>   There are three measures necessary to defend against externally forged Queries:
>
>     o Routers SHOULD NOT forward Queries.  This is easier for a router to
>       accomplish if the Query carries the Router-Alert option.
>
>     o Hosts SHOULD ignore v2 or v3 Queries without the Router-Alert
>       option.
>
>     o Hosts SHOULD ignore v1, v2 or v3 General Queries sent to a
>       multicast address other than 224.0.0.1, the all-systems address.
>
> If a host enforces these rules, AFAICT there is no case were it would
> process a Query from another subnet.
> Even though RFC2236 is silent on this aspect, an RFC3376 host
> implementation in IGMPv2 compatibility mode would be expected to apply
> these checks.
>
> On the other hand, RFC3376 also says, in 4.1.12. IP Destination
> Addresses for Queries:
>
>     In IGMPv3, General Queries are sent with an IP destination address of
>     224.0.0.1, the all-systems multicast address.  Group-Specific and
>     Group-and-Source-Specific Queries are sent with an IP destination
>     address equal to the  multicast address of interest.  *However*, a
>     system MUST accept and  process any Query whose IP Destination Address
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      field contains *any* of the addresses (unicast or multicast)
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      assigned to the interface on which the Query arrives.
>

> This rule contradicts the third rule above (which would in itself
> deserve a discussion), but the two first rules are possibly enough: if
> an attacker forges a Query, under the assumption that at least one
> Router on the path to the victim supports the Router Alert option and
> implements IGMP and enforces the first of the three rules above, if
> hosts apply the second rule, then no forged packet will be processed by
> hosts... The issue is that it may not be reasonable to count on all this
> to be true (eg. there are IGMP Querier implementations in the wild that
> do not set the RA option in Query messages...).
>
> The most reasonable thing to do, as suggested below, is to drop Queries
> whose source address is from another subnet.
>
> A nicer solution would be to apply GTSM (RFC5082) to IGMP, but
> transitioning to it is absolutely not trivial.

Yes, I have been thinking whether GTSM should be used for unicast IGMPv3
messages. I don't think transitioning to that is all that hard. It
depends a bit how common it is to do unicast IGMP today. Checking GTSM
on the receiving end would have to be something that can be configured
until one can expect all senders to do it.

If there is some support for GTSM, we could try a draft updating the
IGMPv3 RFC perhaps...

Stig