Re: [magma] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-00

zhoudi <zhoudi@h3c.com> Fri, 27 August 2010 02:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:56:07 +0800
From: zhoudi <zhoudi@h3c.com>
To: Indranil Bhattacharya <myselfindranil@gmail.com>
Cc: Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>, multimob@ietf.org, young@h3c.com, Hui Deng <denghui@chinamobile.com>, mboned@ietf.org, magma@ietf.org, pim@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [magma] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-00

Hi Indranil,
     Thanks for your comment.
     My reply is as follows:

     Thanks and Regards
     ZhouDi

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Indranil Bhattacharya
  To: zhoudi
  Cc: Greg Shepherd ; pim@ietf.org ; mboned@ietf.org ; multimob@ietf.org ; magma@ietf.org ; Hui Deng ; young@h3c.com ; Liu Hui
  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:30 PM

  Hi ZhouDi,

                A few comments.

  1. There must be a way to refresh the pim snooping entry in the switch. This needs to be done by pim j/p message from FHR.
      Without a refresh mechanism for the entry in the switch there is a problem. After receiving the first data packet FHR send PIM
      prune. Then the entry expires and switch forwards data again but FHR does not send PIM prune because it already has (S,G) with
      NULL OIF.
     Yeah, you are right. That is why the lifetime of  pruned ports is 1/3 of the lifetime of PIM FHR's (S,G) entry.
     But the behaviour of periodically forwarding and pruning can be optimized.
     Do you have any idea about it,especially in PIM SM?Thanks.

  2. This  should not affect the FHR's capability of sending NULL register.
     Have you found some potential problems? Thanks.

  3. This special pim snoop entry needs to be installed in the hash/tcam region of the switch. Otherwise all data will have to hit the
      cpu of the switch. So better if switch's hw-multicast-entries can be changed based on the pim snooping information.
      Absence of a snooping entry means forward the data to all interfaces in the same vlan. Presence of a pruned interface in the
      snooping entry means forward data to all interfaces in that vlan excluding the pruned interface.
      I will accept your suggestion. Thanks.

  Please let me know your thoughts.

  Thanks,
  Indranil