Re: [maitai] Roles of Sender and Receiver

"Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com> Thu, 02 December 2010 21:35 UTC

From: "Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com>
To: "maitai@ietf.org" <maitai@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:36:39 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [maitai] Roles of Sender and Receiver

I agree, except I think this issue is within the scope of the charter.
The charter version 8 does say far end camera control is out of scope,
but it also says this is in scope: "As part of the receiver telling the
sender what it wants dynamically, explicit receiver notification to the
sender of the desired video stream and video pause will be considered."
This seems to leave a lot of room for dynamic handling of video stream
selection, within scope of the charter.

> This might be subverted by sending all and letting the receiver take
> them on and off hold quickly...clunky but avoid protocol work.
>
> My specific question relates to the initial setup where I have two 3
> display, 3 camera systems from different vendors. Who decides which
> stream goes where? Sender or receiver?

I was thinking the sender would somehow indicate the spatial relationship
between the streams it sends.  Then a receiver can render it appropriately
on its display(s).

Mark