[manet-dlep-rg] Slight issue with Data items

Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com> Mon, 10 March 2014 16:41 UTC

From: Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com>
To: "manet-dlep-rg@ietf.org Group, (manet-dlep-rg@ietf.org)" <manet-dlep-rg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:40:34 +0000
Subject: [manet-dlep-rg] Slight issue with Data items

Hi All,

I've been ruminating over Data Items and their default handling as we discussed in London, i.e. an implementation MUST silently drop any unrecognised Data Items it receives.

But, there is some inconsistency over what a Data Item is (in my mind), and so I ask:  Is a Data Item *any* signal payload, or is it one of the payload items in a Destination Up/Down/Update message?

The reason I ask is that there is a class of TLVs in DLEP that appear in session initiation (and possibly discovery) that are semantically different from 'regular' TLVs in session signals: Version information, TCP server addresses, etc...  Now, are these TLVs treated as Data Items as far as the handling rules apply?  What happens if you receive a Version Data Item in a Destination_Update:  The implementation should recognise it, but not expect it where it finds it.

So, have I revealed a new class of Data Item that needs it's own rules and status code, or do the existing rules still work?

In summary, do we need to define "Status Code <N>: Data Item not allowed in last signal"

Hmm... something for you all to ponder at the start of the week...

Rick

P.S> Is everyone happy for me to post the summary report to the WG mailing list?  If I hear no objections by close of play Tuesday, I'll just forward it.