Return-Path: <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: manet@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: manet@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
	by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 08B7112856675
	for <manet@mail2.ietf.org>; Tue, 11 Aug 2026 22:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1;
	t=1786511522; bh=tecFSJ/nwyD1gRZAGUfEQouJ28qvLEgRlwPE793PbUA=;
	h=References:In-Reply-To:From:Date:Subject:To:Cc;
	b=yhQnDt2lkq/1n2hyeV2MC69+bCFzdrradmlDwKfYiS3GCOyz+M0F2FDqQmme6d1Fl
	 bl0XtmtAdgkeXE2ekDYKLIBbeLm+GANLm3+7+9GFj2PlSIGpImudGE6g7igMaAHizu
	 Mp9iY1pLZETGFedcc1pETzxtdoMpZd1TEW3RR2IM=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.098
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.098 tagged_above=-999 required=5
	tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1,
	DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001,
	HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001,
	SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
	header.d=gmail.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31])
	by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
	with ESMTP id hqqxQOOZteBB for <manet@mail2.ietf.org>;
	Tue, 11 Aug 2026 22:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-wm1-x329.google.com (mail-wm1-x329.google.com
 [IPv6:2a00:1450:4864:20::329])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256)
	(No client certificate requested)
	by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id B61F812856666
	for <manet@ietf.org>; Tue, 11 Aug 2026 22:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-wm1-x329.google.com with SMTP id
 5b1f17b1804b1-495590dde14so5885475e9.0
        for <manet@ietf.org>; Tue, 11 Aug 2026 22:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1786511515; cv=none;
        d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        b=aoyK+l6au8jrHqP71orPjXiW43ipGfc67JbpLcvchgz1Ijn6Si2ubIZJJWNSI+Qsei
         cM70Ty2YDOX1orTOaKXjOYdAK8JUumjH9FlYK35mQJICevSzxKboaihXEvSE0ni3nbmW
         UQHUzDsPSqvaZOsTSWk+lRKunFF8PCLoSJbcJoGbWDMfNl9h1SLXoa7PTVHlAP+wpJ/R
         oYMHJUVovEb3cJXYBGIbhLJGMYruZaReDxGbuR84Ha9UXYjJtfPWML1uSocxA4SIJt2b
         pVpmvcbpddCZu/di/DeBWCaMptkcOWJ/f8j90RpxKXUk0bz8uYRgs6mp1kk7a+2L30fd
         5FPQ==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com;
 s=arc-20260327;
        h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references
         :mime-version:dkim-signature;
        bh=vW92/5MhgT9RWkcI1zRT4ruyg8cq7y0JAJ1pHRPIe7E=;
        fh=pyHf4hpPVY9tpVD34oha5E7uiLgOACaiduB/gyAZGVE=;
        b=aAQh4JGYQvyrZEsFSrYtYDkt/lYpulny4PRkyHBND40lPBI72VjKyt2Kti9sywaVd9
         XHyUOpSjsSMP7w/YS8pA3S0qDcyL6utkl8Qg1a9GIwD45dCaxr9g96a/AyOF7qNAMbCB
         5BeuzDtWxCylG6PibBz4oruoPM+KwWxZpMI5Om1+CrN0RWIv0EKlHOhPEZfSIi9wEp2a
         Y8cpqS0GHlao1p/NpWotrs9F7gtjV4Juid3AtGRFOaiigHsPN+kueXT/Ube+PrCYVHsc
         njAl6JsMAKZZfAd44IXcuwiqOaXEU4CMdjiQHOhvaNdRhb+FPp0EhOIYbpTyOuXVMJ5Z
         vttg==;
        darn=ietf.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=20251104; t=1786511515; x=1787116315; darn=ietf.org;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to
         :content-type;
        bh=vW92/5MhgT9RWkcI1zRT4ruyg8cq7y0JAJ1pHRPIe7E=;
        b=RMhRDVJbZEhfkjNxcz2LPEYdevA9O2g8UP3nm92Me/4jzI5A6HKn/bie2mfaVByVvE
         AodgeleKlISuY9G1++juUkNkez8D7tPk3qS46u8jekTzYkxBl82NSMaqDMm6x8jFqzLu
         2sAxHM2jooOTeuTEsbir2ZWINSJ3MYFXkDAFodndSrwzAq9wrw5ZgKASMczC1ifJ6/Ur
         JekDCU4YjHjiPZIHmCvpiqKYP+Yswuaxy92gRrEqB6VE/NnODl+u0fOPV14j2m5tjfFu
         rPCLKG0R6NkN52NE2SYnY3NDNakh8+1cFk5Ab66hAWsCh91etkK/q+fM+ExOT7CyL7ZW
         9rIg==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20251104; t=1786511515; x=1787116315;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
         :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type;
        bh=vW92/5MhgT9RWkcI1zRT4ruyg8cq7y0JAJ1pHRPIe7E=;
        b=r6Rjn6Z6WvPzfLbpYMc9M+GsLMQQBi0nsg7aEfe5qu4F9MrC81JW9IS7r0fL0yA4NS
         xtg21EkDtF1xyi5GYDuxXaNew7t9LXQwyc0m4odJsQg6tB/XHdZYHCnenQNJ44URJ7kZ
         6ARK0aCQeriPZYlQ9WE+mWw1R5Z6frN8jG2K1D1yk08YUasd9wpSVJfG9f3NvCwUp5iK
         wJ9YzlE1JczB/1u9TZ3AcHgjTHd8UOxpdOJwLVN2sVMAz65CRYn33yx/tuP3hSITyA+4
         dDR0SAPDXiU1AoQGAwO+3GApCqx9Jxw5HcT1+VF5wDp/+7YJ5ea9rjw8L3zzFuv+Ntme
         Qg0Q==
X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1;
 AHgh+RplDKhn0WZaX8A5CU0gxu1APUnlfZYKJBBbJJpO6beMx2YQOlEHs5Y/kzlTg6qXOALHS1YXHQ==@ietf.org
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0Yxww2B30/liAG7yh5hyvlt+yezTUBKWcbzQggJ2wxmSM78o/FE5
	aYb5Sp3Od1r+GdfG18+UDA7eXdY/9YTmRq6YQECdQigKeTVZAS3Y5LNOWgULTZKzKgHD2Xj0lWw
	P3FHi1TvKw6KooxngCwphv43pgdvWk/I=
X-Gm-Gg: AR+sD12kH8hfjmJa+om6uKgUZDuIHbILA0SkZVG4PhqwdTpFvrksVRN+v0kRiYugsnv
	H/6aHdF4iK18GvIQdY7NYRsiwj2jxB3/rKPQwc21t3s1dLj2QhubH1oNyljWgnWPrDImqpqK0OD
	4VCA9J70f3lGqbMnxlkryyk9JJSInSG8SG5+AIiPLR5oOx83L7WoN2gd+TW/ZF4h5jtmcu3cXpN
	me6XdYwfQSJ9uoKSKBxKnQkTQpSiC90Cp4L7M7sSJMUlcNM3qqHSW3Xq8oSVYonfHYGazd2GjB8
	P4kqIb+BQJxxB3oiSj7KKDuqhquHsD0jD8MBorqPllC7
X-Received: by 2002:a05:600c:8b52:b0:493:e365:7630 with SMTP id
 5b1f17b1804b1-4997c147d7emr28079005e9.14.1786511515265; Tue, 11 Aug 2026
 22:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: 
 <178542889953.1430372.11902630643836405253@dt-datatracker-d4d6ff9d9-fsx7d>
 <BN0P110MB14208C4A410B26DE75C319C1A3C9A@BN0P110MB1420.NAMP110.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
In-Reply-To: 
 <BN0P110MB14208C4A410B26DE75C319C1A3C9A@BN0P110MB1420.NAMP110.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
From: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2026 07:11:44 +0200
X-Gm-Features: AUfX_mxKvsvZTIN8kIlvrOH92b35LqYdZAQAyO8b12owavquTZfUm65PnoZem5Q
Message-ID: 
 <CADnDZ8_mmc-orRysA27=mMNgT1ePsUiSEue_LnottC9oU2Owxw@mail.gmail.com>
To: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin=40boeing.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="000000000000412d8f0658d2a028"
Message-ID-Hash: F42SWUPTSX75J5WGMMS54NIXAQXX6CK2
X-Message-ID-Hash: F42SWUPTSX75J5WGMMS54NIXAQXX6CK2
X-MailFrom: abdussalambaryun@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency;
 loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-manet.ietf.org-0;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-1; header-match-manet.ietf.org-2;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-3; header-match-manet.ietf.org-4;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-5; header-match-manet.ietf.org-6;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-7; header-match-manet.ietf.org-8;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-9; header-match-manet.ietf.org-10;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-11; header-match-manet.ietf.org-12;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-13; header-match-manet.ietf.org-14;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-15; header-match-manet.ietf.org-16;
 header-match-manet.ietf.org-17; nonmember-moderation; administrivia;
 implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject;
 digests; suspicious-header
CC: "internet-drafts@ietf.org" <internet-drafts@ietf.org>,
 "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>,
 "i-d-announce@ietf.org" <i-d-announce@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: =?utf-8?q?=5Bmanet=5D_Re=3A_I-D_Action=3A_draft-ietf-manet-inet-gap-analysis?=
	=?utf-8?q?-04=2Etxt?=
List-Id: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks  <manet.ietf.org>
Archived-At: 
 <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/manet/Il9PArpdTHnuMuYJ4J-R_G1pkb4>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/manet>
List-Help: <mailto:manet-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:manet-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:manet@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:manet-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:manet-leave@ietf.org>

--000000000000412d8f0658d2a028
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your update. I am not sure what was agreed on so far from this
WG regarding L3 and L2  routers, however, I think it is important not to
make this draft complicated, so I suggest issues relating to
L3_manet_routers and L2_routers is out of scope of this draft. I remember
that past authors manet RFCs preferred not to mention layers (or leave it
as IP_manet_routers, because manet technologies may use different layers
but it is more simple to separate draft with focus on such issues. There
was one comment on this WG_list related to this by chris but not sure which
thread subject.

so I suggest we delete this definition below of draft-04 and leave it as
draft-3 :

MANET Router
      a node that runs a routing protocol over one or more MANET
      interfaces to establish multihop forwarding paths within a local
      routing region.  Forwarding nodes in both L2- and L3-MANETs are
      considered "routers" even when forwarding is based on MAC
      addresses.  All MANET routers are also considered MANET nodes, but
      not all MANET nodes necessarily act as MANET routers.


On Thu, Jul 30, 2026 at 6:39=E2=80=AFPM Templin (US), Fred L <Fred.L.Templi=
n=3D
40boeing.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> This draft version was necessary to introduce the distinction between L2-
> and L3-MANET and to show how both models fit within the MANET
> Internetworking problem space.


suggest that needs a separate draft, because I think there is one WG RFC
that defines already the routers or the model we are focusing on, so yes
this is interesting but I think it will make this draft more complicated.

however, my coming review will comment on draft as soon as I finish.

thanks
AB

--000000000000412d8f0658d2a028
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Fred,<div><br></div><div>Thanks for yo=
ur update. I am not sure what was agreed on so far from this WG regarding L=
3 and L2=C2=A0 routers, however, I think it is important not to make this d=
raft complicated, so I suggest issues relating to L3_manet_routers and L2_r=
outers is out of scope of this draft. I remember that past authors manet RF=
Cs preferred=C2=A0not to mention layers (or leave it as IP_manet_routers, b=
ecause manet technologies may use different layers but it is more simple to=
 separate draft with focus on such issues. There was one comment on this WG=
_list related to this by chris but not sure which thread subject.</div><div=
><br></div><div>so I suggest we delete this definition below of draft-04 an=
d leave it as draft-3 :</div><div><br></div><div><pre style=3D"box-sizing:b=
order-box;font-family:&quot;Noto Sans Mono&quot;,SFMono-Regular,Menlo,Monac=
o,Consolas,&quot;Liberation Mono&quot;,&quot;Courier New&quot;,monospace;fo=
nt-size:0.875em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;overflow:auto;color:rgb(33=
,37,41)">MANET Router
      a node that runs a routing protocol over one or more MANET
      interfaces to establish multihop forwarding paths within a local
      routing region.  Forwarding nodes in both L2- and L3-MANETs are
      considered &quot;routers&quot; even when forwarding is based on MAC
      addresses.  All MANET routers are also considered MANET nodes, but
      not all MANET nodes necessarily act as MANET routers.</pre></div></di=
v><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" cla=
ss=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Jul 30, 2026 at 6:39=E2=80=AFPM Templin (US), Fre=
d L &lt;Fred.L.Templin=3D<a href=3D"mailto:40boeing.com@dmarc.ietf.org">40b=
oeing.com@dmarc.ietf.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex">This draft version was necessary to introduce the d=
istinction between L2- and L3-MANET and to show how both models fit within =
the MANET Internetworking problem space. </blockquote><div><br></div><div>s=
uggest that needs a separate draft, because I think there is one WG RFC tha=
t defines already the routers or the model we are focusing on, so yes this =
is interesting but I think it will make this draft more complicated.</div><=
div><br></div><div>however, my coming review will comment on draft as soon =
as I finish.</div><div><br></div><div>thanks</div><div>AB</div></div></div>

--000000000000412d8f0658d2a028--

