Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Fri, 24 May 2013 09:26 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, "'Nguyen, James H CIV USARMY CERDEC (US)'" <james.h.nguyen4.civ@mail.mil>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:26:10 +0100
Cc: draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-manet-smf-mib@tools.ietf.org, manet@ietf.org, pm-dir@ietf.org, 'Fred Baker' <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hi Benoit,

Thanks for cutting me in on this thread.

I do think this type of discussion should take place on WG mailing lists so I am
copying MANET on this reply.

It appears that the phrase "performance metric" causes alarm bells to ring in
several fire stations around the world. Although I strongly resent words or
phrases being captured for more specific and focused meaning than they deserve,
it is also clear that the pain caused by having a hundred firemen show up on
your doorstep at 3am is sufficient (unless you like firemen at 3am ;-) to
warrant taking Benoit's advice.

- Avoid the term "performance metric" unless you mean it in the
 sense of RFC 6390 (or be prepared to have a fight)
- Use the term "performance information" or maybe "performance
  counters"

<VBS>

Adrian