RE: [manet] ARP in MANETS

fxbaloch <fxbaloch@wichita.edu> Mon, 24 April 2006 20:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:59:50 -0500
From: fxbaloch <fxbaloch@wichita.edu>
Subject: RE: [manet] ARP in MANETS
To: Rex Buddenberg <budden@nps.navy.mil>
Cc: manet <manet@ietf.org>, Ali Hamidian <alexh@telecom.lth.se>

Rex,

First of all thanks for prompt reply. Second of all let me ask you this to
clearify further. How would a MAC layer look into the MAC header if it is the
one to put the MAC header onto the packet coming from upper layer (Network
layer)? I am talking about the packet that a node sends out to other node. I
am not talking about MAC layer's function after it "receives" the packet from
other node. Please let me know how a MAC header is created by a node. It has
to some how look at the IP header of the frame coming from above layer in
order to append the MAC layer header (e.g. Destination MAC address) to the
packet.

Therefore I asked about the ARP process in MANETS as well because if a node
doesnt know about the MAC address of the destination node how would it
proceed.

Thanks alot
Fariha

>===== Original Message From Rex Buddenberg <budden@nps.navy.mil> =====
>On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 12:33 -0500, fxbaloch wrote:
>> Ali,
>>
>> Can you help me with these queries. After a packet comes from Network layer
>> into the MAC layer, does the MAC layer reads all of its contents till the
end
>> of packet or just the destination address in order to proceed with RTS/CTS
>> process and then eventually sending out the packet?
>
>The MAC layer should only look at data in the (MAC) frame header.
>Looking farther should get you a visit by the Protocol Police for layer
>violation.
>
>Remember that MANET is not specific to 802.11 (a misunderstanding that
>you're hinting that you have by the reference to RTS/CTS).  The MANET
>protocols are supposed to work in _any_ network with high route
>volatility.  Looking at packet contents beyond the frame header would
>destroy this generality.  (This is an easy misunderstanding to get into
>since WiFi is so common in commercial world.  Most all academic
>experiments dealing with MANET use WiFi underneath because it's cheap
>and available).

Fariha Baloch
GRA Electrical and Computer Dept.,
Wichita State University.