Re: [manet] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-sec-threats-03: (with DISCUSS)

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Thu, 05 January 2017 14:21 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 14:21:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Cc: "draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-sec-threats@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-sec-threats@ietf.org>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>, "manet-chairs@ietf.org" <manet-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-sec-threats-03: (with DISCUSS)

Not an author, but I hope this is useful. It follows up Stephen's second point.

RFC 7182 describes a mechanism for adding ICVs to anything based on RFC 5444 format (which includes OLSRv2). It includes code points for some ICVs that may be signatures and some that aren't - I think more of the latter.

RFC 7183 is, roughly speaking, an RFC 7182 option for OLSRv2 (and NHDP) implementation. It's called out from RFC 7181 (OLSRv2) as a "must implement, don't need to use" mechanism. It specifies the HMAC/SHA-256 option indicated. It is shared secret key, and thus isn't a signature (as Stephen notes).

Reading Section 6.2 with that in mind, apart from the use of signature, I think mostly it's OK, the RFC 7183 option will work as described if nothing is compromised, but I'm not sure about the final parenthesised piece at the end of the first long paragraph. If you want to be able to revoke you want to be using a different RFC 7182 (or extension) option, as noted an asymmetric one, not the RFC 7183 option, and I don't think that's clear. Possibly "in addition" is meant to mean something more like "alternatively" (though it is not a simple text change like that) but should reference RFC 7182.

(I think the ICVs that might be signatures in RFC 7182 are probably underspecified, which goes back to RFC 6622 of which it is an update. There is an ICV that is a signature in RFC 7859, an extension to RFC 7182, but that is experimental, although specified in some detail.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 (0)1245 242194  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP