Re: [manet] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-pause-extension-06: (with DISCUSS)

"Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@idirect.net> Thu, 04 April 2019 16:27 UTC

From: "Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@idirect.net>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-manet-dlep-pause-extension@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-dlep-pause-extension@ietf.org>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>, "manet-chairs@ietf.org" <manet-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 16:25:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.250.251.20]
Subject: Re: [manet] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-pause-extension-06: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus,

Comments inline.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here; I'm assuming it's along the lines of the radio having a congested, high-priority queue, and a non-congested, low priority queue. In  this case, the radio could theoretically allow low-priority traffic into its queue, while pausing the high-priority traffic. The concern would be a re-ordering of traffic coming out of the radio and onto the RF due to this condition.

Along the lines of what Lou has already said, I remember something Fred Baker once told me. Paraphrasing, it was "Well, if you're going to trust the radio to carry the traffic in the first place, you should also trust it to <fill-in-the-blank>." As Lou put it, "a modem that is DSCP aware must conform with the same requirements as a router that is DSCP aware." The expectation in the above case is that the radio would do the appropriate "clever things" to keep the traffic prioritization intact while resolving the congestion.

The main impetus behind the document is to minimize the number of dropped packets for any given DSCP bucket, as the router (usually) has more memory and thus, larger queue depth.

Regards,
Stan