Re: [manet] Progress...

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Mon, 18 January 2016 10:17 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Justin Dean <bebemaster@gmail.com>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:17:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: Re: [manet] Progress...

I’ve just been looking back over what’s been said about AODVv2 on list recently. Before I do that, let’s say there’s been lots of discussion on DLEP. There’s been no real followup to my exhaustive (and maybe exhausting) comments, but I do know from off-list contact that the authors have read them and are considering them as part of next review.

AODvv2 there’s really been very little. There has been a bit of discussion of message forwarding. But my comments that RFC 6621 is completely inapplicable (ideas from it - mostly in turn from other sources - yes, but the layering is all wrong to just say “use RFC 6621”) in November have had zero response, on or off list. I commented in early December that I’m waiting to review the next draft, because -12 still has several problems in the material about overview, relationship to other protocols etc. that still haven’t been fixed. I haven’t even attempted to get into the core of how the protocol is working in detail, too many other things have been needing fixing.

I also enquired about implementations, no response. For what’s supposed to be standards track, there have been quite a lot of changes in things such as bidirectionality checking. Whether these have all been implemented is, I think, a significant issue.

There’s also been a bit of discussion of Thomas’s review comments. I don’t know how well addressed they are. The subject line was about comments in -11 not addressed in -12.

But principally, we aren’t seeing any real engagement from the authors. Without that there’s a lack of incentive. And what’s not going to work is just a “here’s -13” with no further explanation. Especially, as one occasionally sees hints that some people are thinking -13 will be ready for WGLC. It would have to be substantially changed from -12 for that to be so, and just as a “here it is” won’t work. Anything even in that ballpark will have required lots of discussion to produce, and none of it has been here. (I don’t expect every detail of wording changes to be on list until close to the finishing line. But basic stuff, yes.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 (0)1245 242194  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com<mailto:chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai<http://www.baesystems.com/ai>
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP