[manet] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: (with DISCUSS)

Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 21 August 2019 04:05 UTC

From: Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension@ietf.org, Justin Dean <bebemaster@gmail.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, manet-chairs@ietf.org, bebemaster@gmail.com, manet@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:05:23 -0700
Subject: [manet] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: (with DISCUSS)

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension/

DISCUSS:

* Section 3.1.

I might be missing something here but I think that the "MUST be used" in this
session is wrong and must be relaxed by qualifying it. Here is why. In case the
router does not advertise support by including the value 'Link Identifiers' in
the Extension Data Item inside the Session Initialization Message, I feel that
the modem MUST NOT send the Link Identifier Length Data Item as this will
result in a Session Termination message from the router based on the rules
specified in Section 12.1 of RFC8175 due to the unknown data item.

If you agree with my assessment, I would suggest a change like this. If not,
can you please clarify.

OLD:

   It MUST be used during Session Initialization, contained in a Session
   Initialization Response Message, if the specified length is not the
   default value of 4 octets.

NEW:

   If the router advertised support by including the value 'Link Identifiers'
   in the Extension Data Item inside the Session Initialization Message, this
   data item MUST be used during Session Initialization, contained in a Session
   Initialization Response Message, if the specified length is not the default
   value of 4 octets. If not, this Data Item MUST NOT be sent.