Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Fri, 24 May 2013 10:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:02:34 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: manet@ietf.org, draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-manet-smf-mib@tools.ietf.org, 'Fred Baker' <fred@cisco.com>, pm-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hi Adrian,

> Hi Benoit,
>
> Thanks for cutting me in on this thread.
>
> I do think this type of discussion should take place on WG mailing
> lists so I am copying MANET on this reply.
>
> It appears that the phrase "performance metric" causes alarm bells to
> ring in several fire stations around the world. Although I strongly
> resent words or phrases being captured for more specific and focused
> meaning than they deserve, it is also clear that the pain caused by
> having a hundred firemen show up on your doorstep at 3am is sufficient
> (unless you like firemen at 3am ;-) to warrant taking Benoit's advice.
>
> - Avoid the term "performance metric" unless you mean it in the
>
> sense of RFC 6390 (or be prepared to have a fight)

This is simply not correct!
Based on my two messages below (for the 2 drafts):

    Since RFC 6779 uses the term performance information (in the abstract), I

    would propose that draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-mib also uses this term, and not

    the "performance metric". That would avoid some confusion.

    Like
    Ulrich did for draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-mib, it might better to use
    "performance information" instead of "performance metrics" in your
    draft.

These are advice, and should be considered as such.

Regards, Benoit