[Manycouches] Hybrid IETF meetings

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Thu, 18 March 2021 21:59 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:59:00 +1300
Cc: admin-discuss@ietf.org
To: manycouches@ietf.org
Subject: [Manycouches] Hybrid IETF meetings

As we approach a new phase of the pandemic, it has been suggested by multiple people that we need to consider how we might switch planned IETF meetings to some form of hybrid meeting, or if that is even possible.  The Secretariat are going to start looking at this with a view to producing an assessment framework that can be used to determine if a particular booking can be adjusted to accommodate a hybrid meeting and what is needed to make that happen. This will be considering lots of things, including, but not limited to:

- how big a Secretariat or NOC presence do we need at a minimum?
- what happens if none of the chairs of a session can be present in the room?
- what would the impact be of any social distancing requirements?
- how does this work with the occupancy rates that we guarantee contractually (and pay penalties for if they are missed)?

It is unlikely that this will be ready in time for us to consider IETF 111 but it should be ready in time for us to consider IETF 112 becoming a hybrid meeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on other things to consider.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director