[Manycouches] Follow up on consultation on planning for IETF 111

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 06 April 2021 21:44 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 09:43:06 +1200
Cc: admin-discuss@ietf.org
To: manycouches@ietf.org
Subject: [Manycouches] Follow up on consultation on planning for IETF 111

The consultation on proposals regarding planning for IETF 111 finished on 2 April.  Several points were raised and are paraphrased and addressed as follows:

a.  Consider what other events are taking place *globally* not locally
This feedback is rejected as inappropriate given the highly local nature of restrictions, such as travel bans, face mask regulations and so on.

b.  Make the criteria more specific because people might interpret them differently
This hasn’t been a problem so far and no evidence is provided that it will, besides which the assessment document is not a consensus opinion.

c.  Include X in this criteria
In every case where this was raised, the language is general enough to include X and intended to include X and it would be unwieldy to enumerate every aspect of the criteria at the same level as X.

d.  Consider hybrid meetings
This work has now started, but potentially targeting IETF 112 not IETF 111 given the work required

e.  Delay the decision to the 10 weeks before the meeting not 14 weeks
After speaking to the OP they have withdrawn this suggestion on the basis that is looks unlikely anything substantial will change in the intervening four weeks.

On this basis I intend to stick with the proposed timetable and process:

1. Assessment Criteria
We will use the same criteria [1] for assessing whether to go ahead with an in-person IETF 111 meeting or switch to an online meeting as used for IETF 109.  These criteria were previously consulted on, amended as a result of the consultation, and worked well when used for IETF 109 [2].

2. Fee structure
We will use the same fee structure as used for IETF 110 [3] including unlimited fee waivers.

3. Decision timetable
We will use the following assessment timetable:

	05 Mar 2021	This consultation opens.

	02 Apr 2021	Consultation closes.

	09 Apr 2021	Response to consultation communicated and assessment begins using the final criteria.

	16 Apr 2021	Decision made and communicated.

	03 May 2021	Registration opens.

	26 Jul 2021	IETF 111 begins.

Please let me know if you think I have missed anything or if you otherwise disagree.

Jay

[1]  https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/109/assessment-framework-person-vs-online-ietf-109-meeting/
[2]  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/7GHV8JuZuNgYjv-Dt9wrk_CN5BE/
[3]  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/ZU6cYhBTdxD63Ki2c4hUSsVfkCw/