Re: [Manycouches] soft meeting issues

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 14 May 2020 16:12 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Michael Thomas <mike@mtcc.com>, manycouches@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 12:11:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [Manycouches] soft meeting issues

Michael Thomas <mike@mtcc.com> wrote:
    > I wrote up a blog post about this a couple of weeks ago more in the
    > vein of teleworking, but may be interesting here too.

    > https://rip-van-webble.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-water-cooler-problem.html

I was reading your water cooler post over the past few days between online
meetings.   The "clueless" list was intringing.  I wonder if anyone has a
version of this where everyone gets a pseudonym... which would allow a senior
Cisco Fellow to ask questions too :-)

One of the useful things about the post-meeting "hang-around", (especially
when it's at the end of the day: no rush off to lunch or another session), is
that it allows anyone who isn't steeped in the art of that WG (a "tourist")
to walk up to someone who was hogging the mic line to ask a ("stupid")
clarifying question about some base part of the technology.
This includes senior people (up to and including ADs) who have been suddendly
made aware of some controversy in the WG.
  "Hey, can you just clue me into this debate. Why didn't the WG do X?"
  (there usually is a good, but not obvious answer, often, it would not
  be backward compatible, or it would violate security system FOO)

One of the good hang-around places is Jabber in my opinion.

One of the major reasons, I think, why integrated Jabber into Meetecho is
BAD, is because the identities asserted that way are *NOT* long-term, and
because the chat appears to go away when the meeting ends.
Back when I first started remote attending, I put the "hallway" and "ROLL"
jabbers into my pidgin config, and and they remain, and I'm always logged
into them.

It seems that getting reliable XMPP servers has become somewhat of a
problem. It was worse a few years ago when jabber.org just became unuseable,
but it got better, I think...  I suspect that LetsEncrypt certs for servers
has helped.  I think that the IETF probably should operate it's own jabber
server for end-identities.

MAYBE we should have 10K jabber rooms: one for each RFC.  That might help
people. I would certainly be willing to leave myself logged into the room of
each RFC I've authored, especially since pidgin will let me do that without
having to keep a tab open for them until there is activity.  MAYBE.
MIGHT be a major annoyance and source of spam.
BUT, it would make us more accessible at least to each other.

--- diversion
I don't know why people have such intensive desires to have all the stuff in
one browser tab; I guess it's because the Windows window-manager has always
sucked really badly, but it seems that OSX people have the same issues.

(Yes, I'm a fossil: I still run vtwm on my main desktop. 30 years and
running... since I switched from StunStools and Masscomp/RTU/Cadence to
X-windows.  But, I put full GNOME/Ubuntu on my laptop last fall, and while
it's not as efficient, I still don't have the issues people have, especially
with an external monitor)

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-