Re: [martini] GRUU (was RE: Draft minutes of the IETF 78 MARTINI WG meeting)

Brian Lindsay <brian.lindsay@genband.com> Thu, 26 August 2010 03:39 UTC

From: Brian Lindsay <brian.lindsay@genband.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 03:39:23 +0000
Cc: "martini@ietf.org" <martini@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [martini] GRUU (was RE: Draft minutes of the IETF 78 MARTINI WG meeting)

Hi Paul,

  For a complete solution for privacy, isn't there more required than just Temp-GRUU's? I believe RFC 5627 acknowledges additional need/requirements for a network-provided privacy service, for example, to cover other aspects of the privacy problem. Temp-GRUU's can be part of an overall solution (if GRUU's in general are used), and there are also solutions that wouldn't need Temp-GRUU's at all to ensure privacy (that seems to have been acknowledged in the proposed text that came out of IETF 78).

  I'm on the page that GIN could describe some building blocks (e.g. temp-GRUU's) and their importance with respect to privacy, but GIN needn't necessarily mandate particular architecture(s)/solution(s) (which may not necessarily even be required in all deployments).

  I did listen to the audio archive from the morning session of the WG meeting, and I agreed with many of the comments that Hadriel was making regarding temp-GRUUs.

   Thanks,
     Brian