Re: [MBONED] call for MBONED agenda items in Montreal

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 02 July 2018 22:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 00:19:30 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Leonard Giuliano <lenny@juniper.net>
Cc: MBONED WG <mboned@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] call for MBONED agenda items in Montreal

WOuld like to ask for a "new new draft currently" to discuss
interest and process to evolve standards status of IGMP/MLD

10 min slot ?! "Standards evolution for IGMP and MLD".

The following was sent to PIM as the goals, given how PIM happens
after MBoned at 101 it would be great if we could have in MBoned just
a discussion slot about the operational requirements/issues
(i've identified some below, but may miss others). Later in PIM
we can then determine if any PIM work can capture all the operational
implications, and if not we'll do the rest in MBoned.

Thanks
    Toerless

   a)  downgrade IGMPv1/IGMPv2/MLDv1 to something worse than IGMPv3/MLDv2/IGMP-MLD-lite
      - goal is to do everything we can do to discourage utilization of old protocols
        in new products.

   b) Raising standards track level of IGMPv3/MLDv2/IGMP-MLD-lite

   c) documenting/mitigating ? Risk in deployments upgrading.

I for once have really no clue on what the process for a), b) is and what
our options are, so i hope we'll have a friendly AD or more senior IETF
pprocess aware folks who could help figuring ou the best option quickly.

Wrt to c): After raising a) on the list i talkd to a customer who was
worried about a) happening because of i think a range of issues:

  a) misunderstanding how IGMPv3/MLDv2 are fully backward compatible
     with IGMPv2 / MLDv1 functionality and also fully support ASM.

  b) In any text we may produce about downgrading older IGMP/MLD<
     it needs to be very clear that this implies NO change to the
     status of ASM (and the separate work we are doing to change the status
     of ASM will only downgrade interdomain ASM).

  c) In the specific deplyment, intradomain ASM is used wih Bidir-PIM,
     and to the best of my knowledge, the interaction between Bidir-PIM and
     IGMPv3/MLDv2 is not well specified, but IMHO its also not really well
     specified for PIM-SM.