Re: [MBONED] TSV Area Review of draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace-v2

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 25 January 2018 22:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:51:49 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@ieee.org>
Cc: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>, mboned@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace-v2@ietf.org, tsv-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MBONED] TSV Area Review of draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace-v2

Hitoshi, Brian, *:

Wrt. mtrace v1:

mtrace-v2 should probably include a reference of draft-ietf-idmr-traceroute-ipm-07
as the latest specification available for mtrace-v1.

Wrt. comparison. I would add a sentence saying that implementations
of mtrace-v1 in Unix and router operating systems where/are not necessarily fully
compliant with that specification or each other, therefore a detailled list of
changes vs. mtrace-v1 serves no good purpose because there is no clear most
relevant target of comparison.

E.g: It is at least my good memory that i ran into inconsitencies/incompatibilities between
that draft, Unix mtrace and Cisco IOS mtrace.

It would make sense to extract the existing paragraph mentioning the "previous version",
put it together with the paragraph explaining the history and above notes into some new section
at the end with "mtrace version 1" in its title so that one can easier find this mtrace-v1 stuff,
because right now its somewhat hidden.  But don't spend too many cycles on it.

Cheers
    torless