[MBONED] Suresh Krishnan's No Objection on draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-11: (with COMMENT)

Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 09 January 2020 03:38 UTC

From: Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems@ietf.org, Jake Holland <jholland@akamai.com>, mboned-chairs@ietf.org, jholland@akamai.com, mboned@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 19:38:08 -0800
Subject: [MBONED] Suresh Krishnan's No Objection on draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-11: (with COMMENT)

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems/

COMMENT:

* Section 3.1.4.

Is this really the case? I thought multicast was best effort. Can you add a
reference to the relevant section of the 802.11* spec for this

"Multicast traffic is delayed in a wireless network if any of the
  STAs in that network are power savers.  All STAs associated to the
  AP have to be awake at a known time to receive multicast traffic."

* Section 3.2.2.

-> What does PIM have to do with IPv6 to be listed here? It applies just as
well to IPv4. Can you clarify? -> What is "Geographic Routing"?

-> Please add a reference to RFC4941 for this IPv6 privacy addresses in this
sentence

"IPv6 node will typically use multiple addresses, and may change them often for
privacy reasons"

* Sections 3.2.3. and 3.2.4.

For the "solicited-node addresses" I think a reference to RFC4291 Section
2.7.1. would be extremely useful since this term is not used widely known
outside hardcore IPv6 circles.

* Section 3.2.4.

-> The correct reference for IPv6 Neighbor Discovery should be RFC4861. RFC2461
has been obsolete for more than a decade now. Is there a specific reason you
are referring to the older version of ND here while the rest of the document
uses the right reference?

-> I think it might be better to separate out the ARP issues into a separate
section instead of lumping into this one titled "Spurious ND"

* Section 8

"The IETF should determine guidelines by which it may be decided that multicast
packets are to be sent wired..."

I had the same question as Benjamin and would like to see this clarified.