Re: [mdnsext] mDNSext features/requirements rollup

"Johnson, Neil M" <neil-johnson@uiowa.edu> Fri, 15 February 2013 21:34 UTC

From: "Johnson, Neil M" <neil-johnson@uiowa.edu>
To: RJ Atkinson <rja.lists@gmail.com>, "mdnsext@ietf.org" <mdnsext@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 21:34:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.255.6.15]
Subject: Re: [mdnsext] mDNSext features/requirements rollup

My former employer (a large multi-national electronics device manufacturer) at one time had ~13,000 AppleTalk Zones and 10's of thousands of devices. We had all sorts of issues:
- Name collisions when far spread admins choose the same name for their zones.
- Router performance issues handling that many zones and devices.
- Issues with software trying to display that many zones and devices.
We were more than glad to get rid of Apple Talk when IP became the defacto standard.
My point is to becareful what you mean by large scale :-)
-Neil