Re: [mdnsext] Discussion of BoF during Berlin IETF

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Mon, 03 June 2013 08:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:20:06 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: <mdnsext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mdnsext] Discussion of BoF during Berlin IETF

Hi John,

Very few, naive wishes about autonomous SD data access.
The home, and also the buiding control installation, can and will be
separated temporarily from the internet connection provided by Internet
providers.
Having autonomous access to SD data in the home (building), with a
painless (dis)connection to(from) the Internet provider, is one of my
prime concerns for joining this wg.
Scalability of the SD data access inside the autonomous network (using
a server) is equally important.

Naming inside and outside home should be consistent.

My examples:
Inside names: like mydevice.a-local-domain, where a-local-domain can be
empty
Outside names like mydevice.a-local-domain.xs4all-given-domain.
or myhost.mydomain.my-outside-domain-name.
Possibly, the dot for specifying FQDN can be used to distinguish
autonomous SD data from fully qualified outside data.
If local. suffix is needed, a special layer to filter out the local. to
the application would be welcome.

Separating the work such that parts of the work are moved forward
independently, but in mutual agreement, sounds great.

Peter