Re: [media-types] Notice for a potential media type registration: application/td+json

"Paul Libbrecht" <paul@hoplahup.net> Wed, 12 June 2019 21:28 UTC

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
To: Matthias Kovatsch <w3c@kovatsch.net>
Cc: media-types@iana.org
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 23:27:35 +0200
Subject: Re: [media-types] Notice for a potential media type registration: application/td+json

Dear Matthias,

It seems to me that this format is not unlikely going to be used in copy
and paste scenarios. E.g. between editor applications which exchange
configurations.
While I am too new to this standard to assert this, I would be
interested to hear if you agree on that.

If you do, I would recommend that “clipboard flavour names” are
included in your registration and replace the Macintosh file-type (which
is not current anymore).
This was done by a few media-type declarations already (e.g. SVG or
MathML) and ensures that applications that might include such do so
right away with the same name.

Considering that type-specificity is likely to give the best
user-experience, instead of aiming at text-type, I would like to suggest
the following types for the Windows and macOS platforms:

* macOS UTI:  public.json-td extends public.json
* Windows: json-td

Note, however, that I have not found any software or specification that
employs JSON-TD or even JSON-LD. If one is found for JSON-TD, this
should probably be used. If one is found for JNSON-LD (which is far more
generic), the extends of the UTI description should probably be
adjusted.

Thanks in advance.

Paul