Subject: [media-types] Media type review request for draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-jpegxs-3ed
From: Tim Bruylants <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marius Kleidl <[email-masked]>, Thomas Richter <[email-masked]>, Corentin Damman Geeroms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2026 13:49:27 +0000
List-Id: "IANA mailing list for reviewing Media Type (MIME Type, Content Type) registration requests." <media-types.ietf.org>

Dear IANA,

in the name of the AVTCORE working group, I would like to ask for a review of the registration of the video/jxsv media type for draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-jpegxs-3ed (RTP Payload Format for ISO/IEC 21122 (JPEG XS)) <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-jpegxs-3ed/01/>, which has recently completed its last call. Currently, video/jxsv is referenced by RFC9134. A new draft is being created to replace RFC9134 (it will obsolete RFC9134) while maintaining compatibility. It adds some new parameters to the existing registration.

The registration in question is part of the draft as section 7.1 (https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-jpegxs-3ed-01.html#name-media-type-registration) and goes as follows:

--- START OF CONTENT ---

Type name:
      video

   Subtype name:
      jxsv

   Required parameters:
      rate:  The RTP timestamp clock rate.  Applications using this
         payload format SHALL use a value of 90000.

      packetmode:  This parameter specifies the configured packetization
         mode as defined by the pacKetization mode (K) bit in the
         payload header of Section 4.3.  This value SHALL be equal to
         the K-bit value configured in the RTP stream (i.e., 0 for
         codestream or 1 for slice).

   Optional parameters:
      transmode:  This parameter specifies the configured transmission
         mode as defined by the Transmission mode (T) bit in the payload
         header of Section 4.3.  If specified, this value SHALL be equal
         to the T bit value configured in the RTP stream (i.e., 0 for
         out-of-order-allowed or 1 for sequential-only).  If not
         specified, a value 1 (sequential-only) SHALL be assumed and the
         T bit SHALL be set to 1.

      profile:  The JPEG XS profile [ISO21122-2] in use.  Any white
         space Unicode character in the profile name SHALL be omitted.
         Examples of valid profile names are 'Main444.12', 'High444.12',
         'CHigh444.12', or 'TDC444.12'.

      level:  The JPEG XS level [ISO21122-2] in use.  Any white space
         Unicode character in the level name SHALL be omitted.  Examples
         of valid levels are '2k-1' or '4k-2'.

      sublevel:  The JPEG XS sublevel [ISO21122-2] in use.  Any white
         space Unicode character in the sublevel name SHALL be omitted.
         Examples of valid sublevels are 'Sublev3bpp' or 'Sublev6bpp'.

      fbblevel:  The JPEG XS frame buffer level [ISO21122-2] in use.
         Any white space Unicode character in the fbblevel name SHALL be
         omitted.  Examples of valid frame buffer levels are
         'Fbblev3bpp' or 'Fbblev12bpp'.

      depth:  Determines the number of bits per sample.  This is an
         integer with typical values including 8, 10, 12, and 16.

      width:  Determines the number of pixels per line.  This is an
         integer between 1 and 32767, inclusive.

      height:  Determines the number of lines per video frame.  This is
         an integer between 1 and 32767, inclusive.

      exactframerate:  Signals the video frame rate in frames per
         second.  Integer frame rates SHALL be signaled as a single
         decimal number (e.g., "25") whilst non-integer frame rates
         SHALL be signaled as a ratio of two integer decimal numbers
         separated by a "forward-slash" character (e.g., "30000/1001"),
         utilizing the numerically smallest numerator value possible.

      interlace:  If this parameter name is present, it indicates that
         the video is interlaced, or that the video is Progressive
         segmented Frame (PsF).  If this parameter name is not present,
         the progressive video format SHALL be assumed.

      segmented:  If this parameter name is present, and the interlace
         parameter name is also present, then the video is a Progressive
         segmented Frame (PsF).  Signaling of this parameter without the
         interlace parameter is forbidden.

      sampling:  Signals the color difference signal sub-sampling
         structure.

         Signals utilizing the non-constant luminance Y'C'B C'R signal
         format of [BT601-7], [BT709-6], [BT2020-2], or [BT2100-2] SHALL
         use the appropriate one of the following values for the Media
         Type Parameter "sampling":

         YCbCr-4:4:4  (4:4:4 sampling)

         YCbCr-4:2:2  (4:2:2 sampling)

         YCbCr-4:2:0  (4:2:0 sampling)

         Signals utilizing the Constant Luminance Y'C C'BC C'RC signal
         format of [BT2020-2] SHALL use the appropriate one of the
         following values for the Media Type Parameter "sampling":

         CLYCbCr-4:4:4  (4:4:4 sampling)

         CLYCbCr-4:2:2  (4:2:2 sampling)

         CLYCbCr-4:2:0  (4:2:0 sampling)

         Signals utilizing the constant intensity I CT CP signal format
         of [BT2100-2] SHALL use the appropriate one of the following
         values for the Media Type Parameter "sampling":

         ICtCp-4:4:4  (4:4:4 sampling)

         ICtCp-4:2:2  (4:2:2 sampling)

         ICtCp-4:2:0  (4:2:0 sampling)

         Signals utilizing the 4:4:4 R' G' B' or RGB signal format (such
         as that of [BT601-7], [BT709-6], [BT2020-2], [BT2100-2],
         [SMPTE2065-1], or [SMPTE2065-3]) SHALL use the following value
         for the Media Type Parameter "sampling":

         RGB  (RGB or R' G' B' samples)

         Signals utilizing the 4:4:4 X' Y' Z' signal format (such as
         defined in [SMPTE428-1]) SHALL use the following value for the
         Media Type Parameter "sampling":

         XYZ  (X' Y' Z' samples)

         Key signals as defined in [SMPTE157] SHALL use the value key
         for the Media Type Parameter "sampling".  The key signal is
         represented as a single component:

         KEY  (Samples of the key signal)

         Signals utilizing a color sub-sampling other than what is
         defined here SHALL use the following value for the Media Type
         Parameter "sampling":

         UNSPECIFIED  (Sampling signaled by the payload)

      colorimetry:  Specifies the system colorimetry used by the video
         samples.  Valid values and their specification are the
         following:

         BT601-5:  [BT601-5].

         BT709-2:  [BT709-2].

         SMPTE240M:  [SMPTE240M].

         BT601:  [BT601-7].

         BT709:  [BT709-6].

         BT2020:  [BT2020-2].

         BT2100:  [BT2100-2], Table 2 titled "System colorimetry".

         ST2065-1:  Academy Color Encoding Specification (ACES)
            [SMPTE2065-1].

         ST2065-3:  Academy Density Exchange Encoding (ADX)
            [SMPTE2065-3].

         XYZ:  [ISO11664-1], section titled "1931 Observer".

         UNSPECIFIED:  Colorimetry SHALL either be signaled in the
            payload by the Color Specification box of [ISO21122-3], or
            be manually coordinated between sender and receiver.

         Signals utilizing the [BT2100-2] colorimetry SHOULD also signal
         the representational range using the optional parameter RANGE
         defined below.  Signals utilizing the UNSPECIFIED colorimetry
         might require manual coordination between the sender and the
         receiver.

      TCS:  Transfer Characteristic System.  This parameter specifies
         the transfer characteristic system of the video samples.  Valid
         values and their specification are the following:

         SDR:  Standard Dynamic Range video streams that utilize the
            Optical Electrical Transfer Function (OETF) of [BT709-6] or
            [BT2020-2].  Such streams SHALL be assumed to target the
            Electro-Optical Transfer Function (EOTF) specified in
            [BT1886-0].

         PQ:  High dynamic range video streams that utilize the
            Perceptual Quantization system of [BT2100-2].

         HLG:  High dynamic range video streams that utilize the Hybrid
            Log-Gamma system of [BT2100-2].

         UNSPECIFIED:  Video streams whose transfer characteristics
            SHALL either be signaled by the payload as specified in
            [ISO21122-3], or be manually coordinated between sender and
            receiver.

      RANGE:  This parameter SHOULD be used to signal the encoding range
         of the sample values within the stream.  When paired with
         [BT2100-2] colorimetry, this parameter has two allowed values,
         NARROW and FULL, corresponding to the ranges specified in TABLE
         9 of [BT2100-2].  In any other context, this parameter has
         three allowed values: NARROW, FULLPROTECT, and FULL, which
         correspond to the ranges specified in [SMPTE2077].  In the
         absence of this parameter, and for all but the UNSPECIFIED
         colorimetry, NARROW SHALL be the assumed value.  When paired
         with the UNSPECIFIED colorimetry, FULL SHALL be the default
         assumed value.

   Encoding considerations:
      This media type is framed in RTP and contains binary data; see
      Section 4.8 of [RFC6838].

   Security considerations:
      See the Security Considerations section of [RFCXXXX].

   Interoperability considerations:
      None

   Published specification:
      See the References section of [RFCXXXX]

   Applications that use this media type:
      Any application that transmits video over RTP (like SMPTE ST
      2110).

   Fragment identifier considerations:
      N/A

   Additional information:
      None

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
      T.  Bruylants [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) and T.
      Richter [email-masked] (mailto:jpeg-xs-
      [email-masked]).

   Intended usage:
      COMMON

   Restrictions on usage:
      This media type depends on RTP framing; hence, it is only defined
      for transfer via RTP [RFC3550].

   Author:
      See the Authors' Addresses section of [RFCXXXX].

   Change controller:
      IETF Audio/Video Transport Working Group delegated from the IESG.

Normative References

   [ISO21122-2]
              ISO/IEC, "Information technology - JPEG XS low-latency
              lightweight image coding system - Part 2: Profiles and
              buffer models", ISO/IEC IS 21122-2.

   [ISO21122-3]
              ISO/IEC, "Information technology - JPEG XS low-latency
              lightweight image coding system - Part 3: Transport and
              container formats", ISO/IEC IS 21122-3.

Informative References

   [BT1886-0] ITU-R, "Reference electro-optical transfer function for
              flat panel displays used in HDTV studio production",
              ITU-R Recommendation BT.1886-0, March 2011,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.1886-0-201103-I/en>.

   [BT2020-2] ITU-R, "Parameter values for ultra-high definition
              television systems for production and international
              programme exchange", ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020-2,
              October 2015,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.2020-2-201510-I/en>.

   [BT2100-2] ITU-R, "Image parameter values for high dynamic range
              television for use in production and international
              programme exchange", ITU-R Recommendation BT.2100-2, July
              2018,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.2100-2-201807-I/en>.

   [BT601-5]  ITU-R, "Studio encoding parameters of digital television
              for standard 4:3 and wide screen 16:9 aspect ratios",
              ITU-R Recommendation BT.601-5, October 1995,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.601-5-199510-S/en>.

   [BT601-7]  ITU-R, "Studio encoding parameters of digital television
              for standard 4:3 and wide screen 16:9 aspect ratios",
              ITU-R Recommendation BT.601-7, March 2011,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.601-7-201103-I/en>.

   [BT709-2]  ITU-R, "Parameter values for the HDTV standards for
              production and international programme exchange",
              ITU-R Recommendation BT.709-2, October 1995,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.709-2-199510-S/en>.

   [BT709-6]  ITU-R, "Parameter values for the HDTV standards for
              production and international programme exchange",
              ITU-R Recommendation BT.709-6, June 2015,
              <https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.709-6-201506-I/en>.

   [ISO11664-1]
              ISO/CIE, "Colorimetry - Part 1: CIE standard colorimetric
              observers", ISO/CIE IS 11664-1:2019, June 2019,
              <https://www.iso.org/standard/74164.html>.

   [SMPTE157] SMPTE, "SMPTE Recommended Practice - Key and Alpha
              Signals", SMPTE RP 157:2012, November 2012.

   [SMPTE2065-1]
              SMPTE, "SMPTE Standard - Academy Color Encoding
              Specification (ACES)", SMPTE ST 2065-1:2021,
              DOI 10.5594/SMPTE.ST2065-1.2021, January 2021,
              <https://doi.org/10.5594/SMPTE.ST2065-1.2021>.

   [SMPTE2065-3]
              SMPTE, "SMPTE Standard - Academy Density Exchange Encoding
              (ADX) - Encoding Academy Printing Density (APD) Values",
              SMPTE ST 2065-3:2020, DOI 10.5594/SMPTE.ST2065-3.2020,
              November 2020,
              <https://doi.org/10.5594/SMPTE.ST2065-3.2020>.

   [SMPTE2077]
              SMPTE, "SMPTE Recommended Practice - Full-Range Image
              Mapping", SMPTE RP 2077:2013,
              DOI 10.5594/SMPTE.RP2077.2013, November 2013,
              <https://doi.org/10.5594/SMPTE.RP2077.2013>.

   [SMPTE240M]
              SMPTE, "SMPTE Standard - For Television - 1125-Line High-
              Definition Production Systems - Signal Parameters",
              SMPTE ST 240M:1999, DOI 10.5594/SMPTE.ST240.1999, November
              1999, <https://doi.org/10.5594/SMPTE.ST240.1999>.

   [SMPTE428-1]
              SMPTE, "SMPTE Standard - D-Cinema Distribution Master -
              Image Characteristics", SMPTE ST 428-1:2019,
              DOI 10.5594/SMPTE.ST428-1.2019, March 2019,
              <https://doi.org/10.5594/SMPTE.ST428-1.2019>.

--- END OF CONTENT ---

Kind regards,
Tim Bruylants