Re: [media-types] Review request for application/emergencyCallData.eCall.control+xml

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Thu, 22 September 2016 17:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:02:04 -0700
To: media-types@iana.org
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Subject: Re: [media-types] Review request for application/emergencyCallData.eCall.control+xml

At 4:27 PM -0700 9/21/16, Randall Gellens wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  ECRIT draft https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ecrit-ecall-12
> seeks to register a media type to carry the metadata/control
> information for use during vehicle-initiated emergency calls.  This
> will be used by SIP-based systems vehicle-initiated emergency call
> systems (both the eCall system mandated and standardized within the
> European Union as well as systems in North America and elsewhere).
>
>  The media registration is at
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ecrit-ecall-12#page-32.

Apologies for not including the verbatim text originally:

       MIME media type name: application

       MIME subtype name: emergencyCallData.eCall.control+xml

       Mandatory parameters: none

       Optional parameters: charset

       Indicates the character encoding of the XML content.

       Encoding considerations: Uses XML, which can employ 8-bit
       characters, depending on the character encoding used.  See
       Section 3.2 of RFC 7303 [RFC7303].

       Security considerations:

          This content type carries metadata and control information and
          requests, such as from a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP)
          to an In-Vehicle System (IVS) during an emergency call.

          Metadata (such as an acknowledgment that data sent by the IVS
          to the PSAP was successfully received) has limited privacy and
          security implications.  Control information (such as requests
          from the PSAP that the vehicle perform an action) has some
          privacy and security implications.  The privacy concern arises
          from the ability to request the vehicle to transmit a data set,
          which as described in Section 15.2, can contain personal
          information.  The security concern is the ability to request
          the vehicle to perform an action.  Control information needs to
          originate only from a PSAP or other emergency services
          provider, and not be modified en-route.  The level of integrity
          of the cellular network over which the emergency call is placed
          is a consideration: when the IVS initiates an eCall over a
          cellular network, in most cases it relies on the MNO to route
          the call to a PSAP.  (Calls placed using other means, such as
          Wi-Fi or over-the-top services, generally incur somewhat higher
          levels of risk than calls placed "natively" using cellular
          networks.)  A call-back from a PSAP merits additional
          consideration, since current mechanisms are not ideal for
          verifying that such a call is indeed a call-back from a PSAP in
          response to an emergency call placed by the IVS.  See the
          discussion in Section 12 and the PSAP Callback document
          [RFC7090].

          Sections 7 and Section 8 of [RFC7852] contain more discussion.

       Interoperability considerations: None

       Published specification: This document

       Applications which use this media type: Pan-European eCall
       compliant systems

       Additional information: None

       Magic Number: None

       File Extension: .xml

       Macintosh file type code: 'TEXT'

       Person and email address for further information: Randall Gellens,
       rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org

       Intended usage: LIMITED USE

       Author: The IETF ECRIT WG.

       Change controller: The IETF ECRIT WG.

--
Randall Gellens
The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and