Re: [MEDIACTRL] [sip-overload] WGLC: draft-ietf-soc-overload-design

Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com> Sun, 29 August 2010 20:16 UTC

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 16:16:45 -0400
From: Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Parthasarathi R (partr)" <partr@cisco.com>
Cc: "mediactrl@ietf.org" <mediactrl@ietf.org>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>, "Paul Jones \(paulej\)" <paulej@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] [sip-overload] WGLC: draft-ietf-soc-overload-design

Partha,

the CPU load of a SIP server can increase for many reasons, not only the
processing of RTP packets. For example, the system might start the daily
backup of a database, apply patches, run a virus scan or launch another
application.

If any of these events leads to a shortage of CPU cycles in which the
SIP server may not be able to process all incoming SIP messages, it
should use overload control to reduce the number of SIP messages.

Thanks,

Volker