Re: [MEDIACTRL] Fwd: Alexey Melnikov's DISCUSS and COMMENT on draft-ietf-mediactrl-ivr-control-package-09

"McGlashan, Scott" <scott.mcglashan@hp.com> Wed, 15 December 2010 17:47 UTC

From: "McGlashan, Scott" <scott.mcglashan@hp.com>
To: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>, "mediactrl@ietf.org" <mediactrl@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:48:10 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Fwd: Alexey Melnikov's DISCUSS and COMMENT on draft-ietf-mediactrl-ivr-control-package-09

2 points.

1. Don't get Keith's point about 'text making the references needs to
redrafted'. In discussion with Alexey, I proposed not to add VoiceXML 3.0
as a normative reference (VoiceXML is already well covered by references
to 2.0 and 2.1), but to make RFC 4627 normative since it is mandatory if
and only if a media server chooses to support VoiceXML as a dialog
language. This is a followup to Alexey's previous comments about making
references normative if they are required for a feature even if that
feature is optional.

2. On the language tag issue. Having read RFC 2277, I'm inclined to agree
that we should include
language tags in the elements that Alexey indicates (both mixer and ivr).
RFC 2277 Section 4.2 states:

   Protocols that transfer text MUST provide for carrying information
   about the language of that text.

The language tag - xml:lang - would be added as an optional attribute of
the relevant XML elements (and the xml schema updated). If a value is
specified it is governed by BCP 47 (which obsoletes RFC 4646, RFC 3066,
RFC 1766). The attribute would have a default value of "i-default". RFC
2277 Section 4.5:

   When human-readable text must be presented in a context where the
   sender has no knowledge of the recipient's language preferences (such
   as login failures or E-mailed warnings, or prior to language
   negotiation), text SHOULD be presented in Default Language.

   Default Language is assigned the tag "i-default" according to the
   procedures of RFC 1766. It is not a specific language, but rather
   identifies the condition where the language preferences of the user
   cannot be established.

   Messages in Default Language MUST be understandable by an English-
   speaking person, since English is the language which, worldwide, the
   greatest number of people will be able to get adequate help in
   interpreting when working with computers.

I interpret this to mean that if an implementation wants to localize the
descriptive tags of protocol elements then they can do so by explicitly
setting the xml:lang attribute. If the xml:lang is not specified (e.g. the
MS has no idea of the language preferences of the AS user), then (a) there
is no syntax change required for the current protocol messages, and (b)
the descriptive text can be in English as our examples. I propose to not
update any examples, since the i-default value in the schema is
sufficient.

I can also update our definition of language identifier to also reference
BCP 47 (which includes RFC 5646).

Is this acceptable? I'd like get these specs wrapped up  ..

Thanks

Scott