Re: [MEDIACTRL] [sip-overload] WGLC: draft-ietf-soc-overload-design

Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 30 August 2010 14:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:58:27 -0400
From: Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Parthasarathi R (partr)" <partr@cisco.com>
Cc: "Paul Jones (paulej)" <paulej@cisco.com>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>, "mediactrl@ietf.org" <mediactrl@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] [sip-overload] WGLC: draft-ietf-soc-overload-design

Partha,

if other load causes a congestion collapse on the SIP signaling plane of
a server, it is within the scope of an overload control algorithm.
Whenever a SIP server runs out of resources to process incoming SIP
messages, it needs to take action to make sure it is not encountering a
SIP congestion collapse.

It may use other mechanisms or intelligent design choices to control the
load generated by other processes on a SIP server. E.g., it may perform
access control for admitting audio streams for processing, use overload
control mechanism for other protocols, give less priority to other
processes (e.g., a virus scanner), etc.

Thanks,

Volker