Subject: [Medup] IETF-116: MEDUP (Missing Elements for Decentralized and Usable Privacy) // Side Meeting 2023-03-28 (today) @ 18:30-19:30 JST in room G-301

From: Hernâni Marques (p≡p foundation)<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 19:37:45 +0200

Dear folks

After quite some time, at IETF-116 there will again be a Side Meeting on  
MEDUP (Missing Elements for Decentralized and Usable Privacy), non-WG:

Room: G-301
Date: 2023-03-28 (today)
Time: 18:30-19:30 JST

(See announcement and room reservation:
  https://wiki.ietf.org/en/meeting/116/sidemeetings)

Sign-up for the MEDUP mailing list is possible through this site:

   https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/MEDUP

Mailing list description:

* * *

This list is for discussions of enhancements to application protocols  
for decentralized usable privacy.

RFC 8280 has identified and documented important principles in such as  
Data Minimization, End-to-End and Interoperability in order to enable  
access to Human Rights. While (partial) implementations of these  
concepts are already available, today's applications widely lack Privacy  
support that ordinary users can easily handle.

In MEDUP these issues are addressed based on Opportunistic Security (RFC  
7435) principles. Updates/usage clarifications to application level  
protocols such as email and XMPP are in scope.

* * *

Among other possible topics from other specifications and Running Code  
approaches, I can show the progress we (recently, Dec 2022) did on six  
of our Internet-Drafts concerning pEp (pretty Easy privacy):

- pEp General I-D (updated):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-general/
- pEp KeyReset I-D (new):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-keyreset/
- pEp Trustwords I-D (updated):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-trustwords/
- pEp Email I-D (updated):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-email/
- pEp Handshake I-D (updated):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-handshake/
- pEp Rating I-D (updated):
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pep-rating/

The repository for issues / pull requests on the pEp Internet-Drafts  
above is located here:

   https://gitea.pep.foundation/pEp.foundation/internet-drafts

Most of the Running Code code can be found here:

   https://gitea.pep.foundation/pEp.foundation/pEpEngine

Test files for the wire formats used, secret & public keys etc. to  
decipher the shipped EML files can be found specifically here:

https://gitea.pep.foundation/pEp.foundation/pEpEngine/src/branch/master/test

Individuals and groups are kindly invited to show off their (ongoing,  
recent) work, which relates to building blocks for more user-friendly  
ways to achieve (more) privacy

After all and most importantly, it would be nice to just meet some of  
the people again who are working on such and similar approaches.

Greets --hernani

--  
p≡p foundation: https://pep.foundation/