Re: [MEXT] the future of the MEXT working group

Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com> Fri, 11 November 2011 02:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:28:55 +1100
From: Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>
To: "Charles E. Perkins" <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>, Hidetoshi Yokota <yokota@kddilabs.jp>
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] the future of the MEXT working group

Hi Charlie,

>>I agree that the current 3GPP architecture is very complicated and may
>> not be optimal, but I don't think it is a good idea to change it in
>>IETF...
>
>I agree we can't "change" 3GPP architecture in the IETF, but
>we can respond to the needs which are evident from considering
>the 3GPP architecture.  It seems very few believe that LTE
>is really immune from further evolution and even significant
>change in the future.  If IETF does NOT respond to the needs made
>evident in current 3GPP specifications, we have little hope of
>proper integration into their future evolved designs.

=> I think we should all learn from the RFC 3314 experience where IETF
(IPv6 WG at the time) made clear recommendations to 3GPP about address
configuration and all the recommendations were adopted in the same
release. I know these are smaller recommendations but this happens all the
time and we shouldn't worry about achieving things before trying to get a
unified view and presenting it. RFC 3316 is another example, although it
was more of a consensus-based approach between the two organisations

Hesham