Re: [MEXT] automotive reqs WG item

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 07 November 2011 14:47 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:47:30 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] automotive reqs WG item

Le 07/11/2011 14:16, Thierry Ernst a écrit :

> Thanks Alex for raising this.
>
> My view on this is that the automotive industry has some needs that
> are partly related to NEMO RO, but not only related to NEMO.

I agree.  That's why its title could change (dont use "ro" in title nor
filename).  The contents of the draft as of now already include a number
of use cases which do not necessarily need RO.

Some NEMO wording could be softened, to present it as an alternative not
necessarily _the_ solution.

Additionally, a number of discussions happened in 2011 on IETF email
lists (mext, 6man) which relate to automotive requirements and IPv6.
How about adding VIN and ULA text into it?

> So, I would like to seek advice from our AD about where would be the
>  best place at the IETF to discuss automotive requirements related to
> IPv6 ?

I am also interested to learn where else have automotive discussions
happened at IETF, other than 6MAN and MEXT.

VIN, March 2011:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg13729.html

ULA, September 2011:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg14715.html

> Regarding the dratf itself, it is our intention to update it.

Good to know.

Alex

> Regards, Thierry
>

> On 07/11/11 14:06, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> Hello Jari, WG members,
>>

>> Le 28/10/2011 14:08, Jari Arkko a écrit :
>>> All,
>>>
>>> We are making some changes to the working group. While we have
>>> successfully published a large number of specifications in
>>> recent years, recently it has been difficult to make progress in
>>> the group. The chairs and ADs have looked at the situation and we
>>> believe we need a new focus and a bit of new organization as
>>> well. We are terminating the working group and moving the one
>>> remaining active work item to a new working group, the "DMM"
>>> working group. Here's what is going to happen:
>>>
>>> o Jouni Korhonen and Julien Laganier will become the chairs of
>>> the group.
>>>
>>> o The group will meet in Taipei (there is a MEXT slot in the
>>> agenda).
>>>
>>> o The charter of the group will be changed to focus only on the
>>> distributed mobility effort. We should discuss the details of
>>> this charter change both on the list and in the meeting. The
>>> meeting agenda should reserve some time both for technical
>>> discussions as well as the charter discussion.
>>>
>>> o Once the discussion on the list and in the meeting has
>>> finished, we will rename the group to "DMM" and put the new
>>> charter in effect.
>>>
>>> o If there are any other specifications that people would like
>>> to publish beyond the distributed mobility work, we can offer to
>>> AD sponsor them to RFCs outside the new working group.
>>
>> I wonder what is the plan about
>> draft-ietf-mext-nemo-ro-automotive-req-02? "Automotive Industry
>> Requirements for NEMO Route Optimization"
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mext-nemo-ro-automotive-req-02

I can see a number of options to move it forward, like for example: