still on omittedORAddressComponent

Peter Cowen <p.cowen@nexor.co.uk> Thu, 27 April 1995 16:15 UTC

To: mhs-ds@mercury.udev.cdc.com
Subject: still on omittedORAddressComponent
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 16:59:18 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Peter Cowen <p.cowen@nexor.co.uk>

Hello again,
      I apologise in advance.
I've read the "Use of X.500 Directory to support mapping between X.400
and RFC 822 Address" document further and am now completely
confused. I can only put this down to my recent marriage and the
subsequent lobotomy my wife insisted upon.

On first reading I assumed the use of the ommittedORAddressComponent
was as follows.

Take an 822 domain jim.foo.bar
Look it up in the DIT
Find that it matches with domainComponent=foo,domainComponent=bar,....
and that entry has the associatedORAddress of /PRMD=foo/ADMD=BAR/C=WS/
it also has the ommittedORAddressComponent of O
hence we start adding in unmatched at the OU level
i.e. the mapped address is
/OU=jim/PRMD=foo/ADMD=BAR/C=WS/

However section 2 in the document states that the mechanism is "for
use only within the X.400 to RFC 822 subtree ?
But in that subtree you have the full OR address hence you know whats
missing.

Can someone explain the use of ommittedORAddressComponent ?
I think an example using an ommittedORAddressComponent would be of us
in the document ?

Peter