Reply to Ommitted components in the 1327 mapping

"Kevin E. Jordan" <Kevin.E.Jordan@cdc.com> Wed, 09 March 1994 14:53 UTC

To: Steve Kille <S.Kille@isode.com>
cc: mhs-ds@mercury.udev.cdc.com
Subject: Reply to Ommitted components in the 1327 mapping
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 1994 08:43:07 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Kevin E. Jordan" <Kevin.E.Jordan@cdc.com>

> 4) Define a new NULL component.   The value of the component is the
> type that has been ommitted. This would lead to lookup of an address
> of the form:
>    C=US; A=XXX; NullComponent=PRMD; O=YYY
>
> 4) I propose that we go with this approach.   It is simple and clean.

I think that I like this proposal, but I'm not sure that I understand the
details.  Is the syntax of the NullComponent attribute caseIgnoreString,
so the value is a simple string such as "O" or "PRMD", or is the syntax OID,
so the value is the OID associated with the mHSO or pRMDName attribute?
I think that the OID syntax would be better because it defines the missing
component type more precisely.  The caseIgnoreString syntax would be more
prone to typing errors, and would probably also open a debate about whether
"P" should be allowed in addition to "PRMD", etc.