Ommitted components in the 1327 mapping

Steve Kille <S.Kille@isode.com> Wed, 09 March 1994 14:26 UTC

To: mhs-ds@mercury.udev.cdc.com
Subject: Ommitted components in the 1327 mapping
Phone: +44-81-332-9091
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 1994 13:43:30 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steve Kille <S.Kille@isode.com>

I have been reviewing the discussion on this.   I'd like to review the
options, and I hope lead quickly towards a conclusion.  I can see
four choices:

1) Use a  attribute to indicate what happens at the lower levels.
Kevin suggested a filter mechanism.   This approach leads to a changed
algorithm.   All of the  other approaches retain the 1327 algorithm,
and give a mechanism to insert an (effective) null component into the
DN.

2) Use a special string.  Two variants:
  a) A short pathological string.  (e.g., " " has been discussed)
  b) Use a long name which is unlikely to clash with any real name
	(e.g, "*** Omitted Component ***")

3) Change the attribute syntax of all of the attributes to allow a
NULL variant.

4) Define a new NULL component.   The value of the component is the
type that has been ommitted. This would lead to lookup of an address
of the form:
   C=US; A=XXX; NullComponent=PRMD; O=YYY

Let me suggest an analysis of this.

1) Using an algorithm which does not follow 1327 seems to be a poor
idea.   It is also less efficient, and so I'd suggest not going down
this path.

2) This could be a fallback if nothing else was possible.  I think
that use of " " could be a problem, because it is also used as a real
value (at lease for ADMD).   I'm sure that we could agree a string if
needed.   However, I prefer to avoid approaches which rely on reserved
strings which we cannot enforce.

3) This is the closest to 1327 and the most elegant.   However, I
think that use of non-standard syntaxes for all the addressing
information is a very very bad idea.

4) I propose that we go with this approach.   It is simple and clean.

Steve