Reply to MHS-DS: Changing the tree (OUCH)

"Kevin E. Jordan" <Kevin.E.Jordan@cdc.com> Tue, 01 March 1994 16:55 UTC

To: Return requested <mhs-ds@mercury.udev.cdc.com>
Subject: Reply to MHS-DS: Changing the tree (OUCH)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 1994 10:40:02 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Kevin E. Jordan" <Kevin.E.Jordan@cdc.com>

> To be sure I understand the new mapping, I need an example.
>
> I want to have the following mapping:
>
> /c=de/admd=d400/prmd=lrz-muenchen/o= /ou=lrz/ <-> lrz.lrz-muenchen.d400.de
>
> This means I need for the mapping from X.400 to RFC 822 the entry
>
> c=de@aDMDName=d400@pRMDName=lrz-muenchen@mHSO=\20
>   with lrz-muenchen.d400.de as associated domain
>
> and from RFC 822 to X.400 the entry
>
> domainComponent=de@domainComponent=d400@domainComponent=lrz-muenchen
>   with /c=de/admd=d400/prmd=lrz-muenchen/o= / as associated ORaddress
>
> Is this correct? Especially the representation of SPACE, in the RDN it is '\20'
> and in the X.400 address it is ' ', correct?

No, I do not think that this is completely correct.  There is no ' ' in the
X.400 O/R address.  If an O or PRMD is missing from an X.400 O/R address, the
O/R address would be mapped onto an X.500 distinguished name which includes
a place-holder element (either pRMDName or mHSO) whose value is ' '.

A similar solution for the inverse mapping of Internet domains to X.400 O/R
addresses with missing elements has not been proposed yet.