Re: [AGENTS] BOF at IETF

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Tue, 19 November 1996 17:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:38:11 -0800
To: Einar Stefferud <stef@nma.com>
Sender: iesg-request@ietf.org
From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [AGENTS] BOF at IETF
Cc: John C Klensin <klensin@mail1.reston.mci.net>, Steve Coya <scoya@ietf.org>, Tony Rutkowski <tony@netmagic.com>, iesg@ietf.org, mhtml@segate.sunet.se, directorate@apps.ietf.org

At 10:55 AM 11/18/96, stef@nma.com wrote:
>I only see one possible remaining IETF issue that might be resolved in this
>thread.  This is the qquestion of what IETF thinks about, and might want to
>do about other groups going off an using IETF processes and rules to
>independently develop standards for use n the Internet.

I don't see why anyone couldn't use the same processes if they chose to.
I'm not sure how I would stop them, nor am I sure why I would want to.

>There will of course be calls for somone to coordinate non-IETF work with
>IETF, but I think the "rules" that require the work to be done in the open
>with open work processes and open ownership of the results will allow the
>IETF to maintai awareness of the work and its progress.  I expect many ETF
>people to aso participate n these other works.

Yes, people work in whatever forums their interests lie in, and nobody
expects that the horizon starts and stops with the IETF. The one comment I
will make there is that if coordination is intended, it generally doesn't
happen by itself.

I don't suffer from insanity.  I enjoy every minute of it.