[MIB2RDML] SNMP MIB to XSD mapping I-D available

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org> Wed, 28 November 2007 06:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:48:33 -0500
From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: mib2rdml@ietf.org
Cc: ops-area@ietf.org
Subject: [MIB2RDML] SNMP MIB to XSD mapping I-D available

Hi,

For those of you on the MIB2RMDL list who have been wondering what (if
anything!) has been going on during this long period of silence on the
e-mail list, and for others interested in having an IETF standard
methodology for mapping SNMP MIBs to XML via XSD for generic use by
XML-based management applications, I can now report some progress.

That progress is best represented by a new Internet Draft which is now
available at
http://home.comcast.net/~bobnatale/draft-li-natale-smi-datatypes-in-xsd
-00.txt, pending posting to the IETF I-D repository following the
imminent Vancouver IETF meeting.

Dave Harrington has led this effort, starting with the XSDMI proposal
at the Chicago IETF meeting.  As I published on this list around that
time, it makes sense for the MIB2RMDL effort to see XSDMI as the
essential first half of the equation (i.e., the "MIB2->" part) of
MIB2RMDL.  Once the IETF publishes a standard methodology for the
expression of management information described in and accessible via
SNMP Management Information Bases (MIBs) as XML documents, then other
groups (if desired) can undertake the second half (i.e., the "->2RMDL"
part).  (Note that this approach also allows for multiple resource
model mappings from the standard MIB to XSD mapping.)  Yan Li did much
of the concrete research of multiple existing independent approaches
for doing the fundamental datatypes mapping addressed in this draft.
We then did a comparative analysis of those approaches, relative to the
requirements stipulated in Sec. 3 of this draft, as a baseline for the
specific approach this draft proposes.  This draft originated from
draft-romascanu-netconf-datatypes, but now bears little resemblance to
that document, due to differences in scope, structure, and content.

Any errors or otherwise errant statements in the draft are purely my
responsibility.

I believe that the OPS ADs plan to allocate some agenda time to discuss
this work at the Vancouver IETF.  I will post that scheduling info when
it becomes available, and I will do a post-Vancouver recap message as
soon after IETF-70 as possible.

In the meantime, please feel free to raise any issues or post any
comments concerning the draft or the plans here and on the ops-area
list (unless the ADs give other guidance about which list(s) to use).

Cheers,
BobN