[MIB2RDML] Re: [OPSAWG] Re: [NGO] XSDMI work

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Mon, 13 August 2007 16:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:53:09 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: ngo@ietf.org, mib2rdml@ietf.org, opsawg@ietf.org, ops-nm@ietf.org
Subject: [MIB2RDML] Re: [OPSAWG] Re: [NGO] XSDMI work

Ron Bonica wrote:
> Andy, David,
>
> Permit me to ask a few dumb questions so that I can understand a) what
> David is proposing and b) why Andy is objecting.
>
> AFAIKS, David is proposing the following:
>
> - a mapping from SMIv2 TCs to XSD types
> - a mechanism to translate SNMP MIBS to XSD.
>
> The XSD is an XML schema that is independent of the protocol that is
> used to shuffle the data back and forth. In one respect, it is a bit
> like Esperanto. It strength is that it omits the details that make it
> inappropriate for one protocol or the other. But at the same time, it's
> weakness is that it lacks the detail that would be required by any protocol.

That's the pretty picture from 10000 feet

> David, Andy, do I have this right? If so, could you guys point out what
> some of those omitted/lacking details are?

The XSD is going to contain <key> clauses that specify how
data naming works for the multiple conceptual instances
of the 'table row' (i.e., some ancestor node of all index nodes).
In order to be useful for a particular protocol, this naming scheme
must be compatible with that protocol.
The conceptual data structures are going to use data types that must
be supported in that protocol, which impacts DM design.

In order to be useful for any protocol, another document
would be needed that maps every detail in the SMI-to-XSD algorithm
to every detail of the operations (verbs) for that protocol.
This is 90% of the work.

This generic SMI-to-XSD mapping is the other 10%.
IMO, this just complicates things.  I would rather
the 90% document be 100%, and map SMIv2 directly
to the protocol, rather than mapping from SMIv2 to an XSD info model,
and then to the protocol.

The current proposal contains lots of SNMP-specific details,
like engine-IDs, contexts, and max-repetitions.  This suggests
that the mapping is for SNMP, not SMIv2.  IMO, seamless integration
of MIB-based data into the NETCONF protocol is an interesting
problem to solve.  Using a NETCONF session to send SNMP PDUs in XML
to the NETCONF agent, who will forward it to the SNMP agent,
is not an interesting problem to solve.

Andy