[midcom] Re: AD evaluation comments on draft-ietf-midcom-mib-07

Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com> Thu, 27 July 2006 18:23 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:23:34 -0700
From: Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de>
Cc: midcom@ietf.org, Martin Stiemerling <stiemerling@netlab.nec.de>, Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com>
Subject: [midcom] Re: AD evaluation comments on draft-ietf-midcom-mib-07

Magnus,

Please see my comments below inline.

regards,
suresh

--- Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I do have some follow up below. When these
> have been resolved please submit a new document. Then I should be able
> to put it on IETF last call so it will be ready to go to IESG when I am
> back from my vacation.
>

> Juergen Quittek wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. midcomGroupLifetime:
> >>
> >> I wonder why this object is defined as providing the longest
> >> time until something expires. Would not the MIDCOM client be
> >> more interested in the shortest time until something in the
> >> group expires?
> >
> > Groups in the MIDOCOM MIB only exist conceptually.
> > There are no explicit group instances containing any state
> > beyond the the state contained in members.
> >
> > Please see the DESCRIPTION clause of midcomGroupTable:
> >
> >         Entries in this table are created or removed
> >         implicitly when entries in the midcomRuleTable are
> >         created or removed, respectively.  A group entry
> >         in this table only exists as long as there are
> >         member rules of this group in the midcomRuleTable.
> >
> > Groups are instantiated by instantiating the first member
> > and they are removed by removing the last remaining member.
> > Therefore, the lifetime of the group is the maximum of all member
> > lifetimes.
> >

> Yes, you are correct that the groups lifetime is the maximum of the
> included rules. However from a usability point of view it seems that the
> minimum would be better. However if the WG thinks this is fine, then I
> will not persist with my point of view.

[suresh] The midcomGroupTable entries are created implicitly when rules are
created in the RuleTable. So, it is only natural that the lifetime of a group
entry match the largest (not the smallest) lifetime of the memeber entries.
Now, if the midcom client chooses to reduce the timing for the rules beloning
to a group, the group entry provides a shortcut to set the ceiling on lifetime
for all member entries. Hope this helps.

> [...]
> problem.
>

> >> 5. midcomRuleInternalIpAddr, midcomRuleExternalIpAddr,
> >> midcomRuleInsideIpAddr
> >> and midcomRuleOutsideIpAddr:
> >>
> >> I think the descriptions should include the A0-A3 designation of what
> >> addresses one is discussing. Because the current definitions are not
> >> particular clear on what address one refers to.
> >
> > OK.  For the DESCRIPTION clause of object midcomRuleInternalIpAddr
> >
> > replace OLD:
> >
> >        "The internal IP address.
> >
> > with NEW:
> >
> >        "The internal IP address (A0).
> >

> > For the DESCRIPTION clause of object midcomRuleExternalIpAddr
> >
> > replace OLD:
> >
> >        "The external IP address.
> >
> > with NEW:
> >
> >        "The external IP address (A3).
> >

> > For the DESCRIPTION clause of object midcomRuleInsideIpAddr
> >
> > replace OLD:
> >
> >        "The inside IP address at the middlebox.
> >
> > with NEW:
> >
> >        "The inside IP address at the middlebox (A1).
> >

> > For the DESCRIPTION clause of object midcomRuleOutsideIpAddr
> >
> > replace OLD:
> >
> >        "The outside IP address at the middlebox.
> >
> > with NEW:
> >
> >        "The outside IP address at the middlebox (A2).
> >

> Thanks.
>

> >> 6. midcomRuleInternalIpAddr and midcomRuleInternalIpPrefixLength:
> >>
> >> The wildcarding of the addresses does not seem 100% to me.
> >> You can use the prefix length to wildcard an address. However the
> >> support is optional. So what happens when one like to wildcard or
> >> not specify an address because one can't or it does not make
> >> sense? Especially for the outsideIpAddr that the MIDCOM client may
> >> not know and is actually requesting the MIDCOM server to assign?
> >
> > insideIpAddr and outSideIpAddr are read-only.  They are not among
> > the input parameters listed in the DESCRIPTION clause of object
> > midcomRuleAdminStatus.  Both are output parameters of client request
> > and their values are assigned by the middlebox.
> >

> Okay, so these are always know entities. Thus not a big problem. Only
> when defining like firewall rules for whole networks one will have real
> use for wildcarding. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> >> 7. midcomConfigFirewallGroupId: I don't understand what scope and
> >> effect this object has. It is not clear if it can be used to
> >> reassign rules or if only rules created after the value takes effect.
> >> In fact I have some problem seeing what it is used for
> >> at all with the definition it has.
> >
> > The midcomConfigFirewallGroupId defines to which firewall rule group
> > the MIDCOM rules are added. Some firewalls support grouping of rules
> > into sets/groups. This allows easier reading of rule sets. See, for
> > instance, groups o sets in ipf or IPFW on FreeBSD.
> >

> Okay, however is really the "all" part of the below description correct
> then?
>
> "The firewall rule group to which all firewall
>             rules of the MIDCOM server are assigned."

[suresh] The firewall table is per-port specific. So, the "all" would be right
when the FirewallIndex is 0. Would the following rewording work for you.

    The firewall rule group to which all firewall rules for the
    specified interface of the MIDCOM server are assigned. When
    midcomConfigFirewallIndex is set to 0, all firewall rules
    of the MIDCOM server are assigned the same firewall rule group.

Similarly, the description for midcomConfigFirewallPriority can be changed as
follows.

OLD:
      "The priority assigned to all firewall rules
           of the MIDCOM server."
NEW:

      "The priority assigned to all firewall rules for the specified
       interface of the MIDCOM server. When midcomConfigFirewallIndex
       is set to 0, all firewall rules of the MIDCOM server are assigned
       the same priority."

regards,
suresh
"