[middisc] Wan Optimization standardization problem statement/analysis?

Greg Daley <gdaley@au.logicalis.com> Tue, 26 February 2013 00:34 UTC

From: Greg Daley <gdaley@au.logicalis.com>
To: "'middisc@ietf.org'" <middisc@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 00:34:55 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.196.182]
Subject: [middisc] Wan Optimization standardization problem statement/analysis?

Dear Middisc list,

Thanks for your work on the Middlebox Negotiation Option draft.

I understand that this list and the draft are not focussed upon standardization of intercompatibility between Middleboxes, but I see it as a positive first step.

Working within the System Integration space, we are seeing significant impact upon customers due to incompatibilities between WAN optimization systems, particularly.
Our company resells platforms from two Wanopt vendors, and several of our long term customers have deployments from further vendors.

We are seeing increased operational expenses for customers from managing incompatible systems, and difficulties in managing mergers of networks with different heritages.

Has anyone undertaken a review within the IETF of the general problem and scope of standardized WAN optimization?

Are there any organizations other than under IETF guise where this work is being done?

I understand that there are several legal issues associated with the work, and that some of this is before the courts.

Please let me know if you are interested in furthering this work, and if you would be except for current legal circumstances.

Sincerely,

Greg Daley