[mif] Decision regarding MIF

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Sun, 08 May 2016 22:56 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: "mif@ietf.org" <mif@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 22:56:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: [mif] Decision regarding MIF

WG,

As AD I have been following the WG recharter/position discussion with much
interest.

My observations are these:

	* There are great suggestions of what MIF could work on.
	* These suggestions are interesting topics and might lead to great places.
	* There is a small group of people that supports these topics.
	* There is currently not a sufficient critical mass of participants to
assist in and review that work.

My decision is this.

While the work is interesting, there is not a sufficiently sized cohort to
carry this work through the standards process.
I could certainly speculate why that might be, but would prefer to keep to
the facts. This is simply where we are.

I will be closing the MIF Working Group, however I will be leaving the
Mailing List open for ongoing discussion.
I will AD shepherd any remaining milestone MIF documents when they come to
me.
At a later date when a sufficiently sized cohort exists that is committed
to see the work done either I, my co-ad, or my successor (if that is the
case) has the option ability to re-open and recharter MIF.

I would like to express my sincere thanks appreciation to both Hui and
Margaret, as co-chairs, for doing everything they could to ignite the
passion in MIF.

A hearty "Thank You" also goes to the active authors, contributors,
participants, and supporters of MIF. The IETF is a community and you are a
valuable part of that community.

I expect to see more of MIF at some point in the future.

Thanks
Terry
(Wearing the INT AD Fez)