Re: [mif] Comments on draft-mouton-mif-dhcpv6-drlo-00

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 13 September 2011 16:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:35:31 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] Comments on draft-mouton-mif-dhcpv6-drlo-00

Le 13/09/2011 07:48, Gaurav Halwasia (ghalwasi) a écrit :
> Hi Maximilien,
>
>>> I read this draft, I think similar issue is also being
>>> discussed/solved by draft-dec-dhcpv6-route-option-05 as well.
>>>

>> Can you say more about this discussion?
>
> Draft [draft-dec-dhcpv6-route-option-05] handles the cases of both
> default/other static route using one generic option. That's it I was
>  able to gather in my one glance to this draft.

Clarification: do you actually mean
draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-option-03 (which is a WG item) instead of
draft-dec-dhcpv6-route-option-05?

> On Route lifetime and the length of it's field. I strongly think that
> this field is unnecessary as I don't think default route (given by
> DHCPv6 server) will be that shortlived. Even if it is short lived,
> anyways a new message exchange needs to happen irrespective of this
> field. (either server initiated or client initiated.)
>
> In ND, as the messages are quite periodic (in comparison to DHCPv6),

PEriodicity of ND messages can be tweaked at knob.

Also, DHCP can be quite verbose.

In a WiFi hotspot setting of several APs I see DHCP messages as often as
every minute, or worse - depends on user physical speed - which is
unpredictable.  The quicker the movement, the more often DHCP messages
happen.

> having a lifetime in ND message makes sense. One of the primary use
> of having lifetime in ND is to advertise route as stale (by setting
> lifetime as zero).

Hmm.. yes and no.

Yes prefixes in ND structures may become stale in time, or triggered.

No, thinking the "Router Lifetime" (not "route lifetime") set to 0 in an
RA means that is a default router, and does not mean that is a stale route.

> The main purpose of having RECONFIGURE (sent by Server) message is to
> actually achieve the same thing. At the first place, I feel that
> default routes are not going to be that short lived and even if it is
> (in some scenarios), server can always use RECONFIGURE.

I agree there are a number of choices of what happens when lifetime of a
default route expires.  We have not implemented this because we don't
know for sure what should happen.

> On MAC address issue. Again, think that it's not a good idea to send
>  MAC address of default router in DHCPv6 option. I will probably eat
> a lot of bandwidth in comparison to the benefit it can provide.

The benefit of having (optional) MAC address in the DHCP Advertise next
to the IP address of the default router is that it avoids doing NS-NA to
solve that IP address into a MAC address.

MAC address is 48bit and a pair of NS-NA messages is bigger in terms of
message size.

Alex