[mif] How long domains and networks field is required for DHCPv4 DNS server select option

<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> Thu, 20 October 2011 05:44 UTC

From: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
To: mif@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 05:44:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [88.115.224.28]
Cc: Matt.Ryan@nominum.com
Subject: [mif] How long domains and networks field is required for DHCPv4 DNS server select option

Hi Mif,

Is it enough to have 246 octets to describe the domains and networks fields in the case of DHCPv4, or do you want to have possibility for longer list of domains?

We are discussing at the DHC WG what would be the optimal format for the DHCPv4 option, and the decisions depend on how much domains and networks information is needed in the case of DHCPv4. If we agree that 246 octets is enough, we can design far simpler DHCPv4 option than otherwise.

I prefer the simpler way even though it is more limited in size, as I don't really see need to go beyond that.

Best regards,

Teemu