Re: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-mpvd-arch-04.txt

Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com> Mon, 15 September 2014 08:11 UTC

From: Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:10:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-mpvd-arch-04.txt

Hi,

One additional question that arose whilst I was reviewing the document is from the end of P1 in section 3.4:

One way this could be accomplished is by using a DHCPv6 ORO containing the PvDs that are of interest.
The configuration source can then respond with only the requested information.

I think that the language here is incorrect. The ORO is a list of option codes and this doesn’t have any way of including specific PvDs (unless each PvD was defined as a DHCP option in its own right, which seems unworkable). I guess that the real intension here is to have a new DHCP option which carries information about requested/available PvDs, and for the client to include the option code for this in the ORO.

If so, proposed new text:

One way this could be accomplished is by using a new DHCPv6 option containing the PvDs that are of interest.
The configuration source can then respond with only the requested information.

Cheers,
Ian