Re: message/partial and rfc-822

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Fri, 06 May 1994 02:59 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
To: Peter Sylvester <Peter.Sylvester@inria.fr>
cc: mime-mhs@surfnet.nl, paul-andre.pays@inria.fr, moore@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: message/partial and rfc-822
Date: Thu, 05 May 1994 22:46:31 -0400

> I have the strong that message/partial is a wrong solution
> to a non existing problem, or an unethical solution to
> bypass certain well defined limitations.
>

> If there is a need to transfer LARGE data then the network
> must be fast enough to carry them. Restrictions of message
> sizes are normally imposed on networks where the line
> capacity is not sufficient, thus in some way the traffic
> must be limited.

There are lots of reasons to impose a message size limit
that aren't related to line capacity.  (e.g. the available
disk space on an MTA's spool area)

But even in those cases where line capacity is the issue, one
could argue that a simple limitation on the size of a message
is the wrong approach. What is needed is a limit on the amount
of bandwidth that can be used to mail to any particular user.

There's nothing inherently evil in splitting up long messages,
as long as the individual pieces are spread out over time.

Granted that message/partial isn't going to work very well
with a gateway.  But maybe this is a limitation of X.400
in not being able to convey very large objects.  It just
depends on how you look at it.  (yes I know it's not an
inherent limitation of X.400...but X.400 MTAs don't
necessarily have more disk space, and the transmission
lines aren't necessarily any faster, than their Internet
counterparts.)

Keith Moore