rfc1495

Justin Ziegler <Justin.Ziegler@inria.fr> Wed, 04 May 1994 16:00 UTC

To: mime-mhs@surfnet.nl
Cc: ziegler@chandon.inria.fr
Subject: rfc1495
Date: Wed, 04 May 1994 17:47:17 +0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Justin Ziegler <Justin.Ziegler@inria.fr>

hello,

I am still studying all the rfcs about gatewaying MIME and X400.

In particular section 3.2.1.2 of rfc1495 has kept my attention.

------------
3.2.1.2.  Message/Partial

This is mapped onto a *message*, and the following heading extension is
used.  The extension is derived from the message/partial parameters:

                       partial-message  HEADING-EXTENSION
                           VALUE PartialMessage
                           ::= id-hex-partial-message

                       PartialMessage ::=
                           SEQUENCE {
                               number INTEGER,
                               total  INTEGER,
                               id     IA5String
                           }

   If this heading is present when mapping from MHS to MIME, then a
   message/partial should be generated.
------------

I guess the word message between stars refers to an
IPMS.messageBodyPart. But an IPMS.messageBodyPart has a structure,
and is a sequence of IPMS.BodyParts. The message broken
into message/partials may also have a structure.
Thus the partial message must
be broken into BodyParts if it contains a multipart body.
The parsing can not be applied separatly to the parts of the
broken message. The only
possible solution is that the gateway receives all the parts and
reassembles them. But a gateway can not be expected to receive all
the parts, some of them may be sent to other gateways...

I feel this creates a few problems, that need a bit more
consideration. Has this already been solved and discussed ??

Justin